Traffic Ticket FAQ in Wyoming

What do I do if I get a traffic ticket in WY?

You’ll plead either guilty or no contest or not guilty―but you don’t have to decide right away. Each option brings pros and cons, and one option might be better than the other for you, depending on your violation.

For example, if you have a simple speeding ticket, it might be more convenient for you to plead guilty and pay the fine; if you have a DWUI charge, however, you might want to fight the charges or at least look at a plea agreement with a traffic ticket lawyer.

Learn more about each at Paying Your Traffic Ticket and Fighting Your Traffic Ticket.

How do I know if a Municipal Court or Circuit Court has my ticket?

Your ticket indicates whether you must appear in or pay a Municipal or Circuit Court, but as a rule:

  • Municipal Courts handle city-level tickets.
  • Circuit Courts handle sheriff department and Highway Patrol tickets.

Is there a time when I’ll have to appear in court?

Yes. Some traffic tickets indicate the driver must appear in court.

Check your ticket for this information, and contact your court if you have any questions.

How can I get a traffic ticket dismissed?

The court will dismiss your ticket if you plead not guilty and win your case in court.

Often times, drivers hire traffic ticket attorneys to help them win their cases.

What if I have a Wyoming CDL and get a traffic ticket?

Determine whether you want to plead guilty or plead not guilty, and move forward accordingly.

Just remember that you must notify your employer within 30 days of any traffic violation and that some violations bring penalties serious enough to end your career. Refer to Ticket Fines and Penalties for more information.

What happens if I have a restricted learner’s permit and get a traffic conviction?

The state will suspend your restricted learner’s permit, also known as a hardship license, for committing any traffic violation.

You also face license suspension for violating any of the permit’s restrictions.

What happens if any of my restricted driver’s license privileges are suspended?

You can’t move on to the next license if any of your restricted driver’s license privileges are suspended.

For example, if you have an intermediate license and are otherwise read to apply for your full driver’s license, you can’t if any of your intermediate license privileges are suspended.

What happens if I’m younger than 21 and get a DWUI conviction?

The state will suspend your license anytime you’re convicted of driving with a BAC of 0.02% or higher.

  • First Offense: 90 day license suspension.
  • Second and Subsequent Offenses (within two years): 6 month suspension.

NOTE: If you haven’t been issued a probationary license in the last 5 years, and you have no previous DWUI convictions, you might be eligible for limited driving privileges.

Why is it a good idea to order a driving record?

Because Wyoming records your violations on your driving record, and suspends your license when you accumulate 4 violations within a 12 month period, ordering your driving record lets you know:

  • How many violations are currently on your record.
  • How close to suspension you are.
  • Whether your record reflects the correct number and nature of violations .

What is the total cost of my traffic ticket?

The total cost of your traffic ticket depends on:

  • The traffic ticket fine itself..
  • Violation surcharges (such as DWUI costs).
  • Future costs (such as license reinstatement fees).
    • Learn more at Ticket Fines and Penalties.

      Are traffic ticket fines the same throughout the state?


      The Wyoming State Legislature sets traffic ticket fines, and they’re statewide.

      Your ticket should include your fine, but if it doesn’t―or you have any questions about the total costs―you can contact your court.

      How can I find a lost traffic ticket online?

      You can’t search for a lost ticket online, but you can contact the DOT as well as your court to retrieve the information.

      Head over to Lost WY Traffic Tickets to get started.

When is it a good idea to hire a traffic ticket attorney?

It’s a good idea to hire a traffic ticket attorney if:

  • You don’t want to speak for yourself in court.
  • You want help preparing and presenting your case.
  • You think you should subpoena witnesses.
  • You’re open to negotiating a plea agreement, or aren’t sure if you’re eligible for a plea agreement.
  • You’re facing serious criminal charges, long-term license suspension or revocation, or incarceration.

A lawyer also can help you with administrative issues, such as rescheduling or postponing a hearing or filing the paperwork for an appeal.

Does Wyoming have a point system??


Wyoming records your violations on your driving record, but doesn’t assign points related to those violations.

If there are no points, how can the state suspend or revoke my license?

As far as recording violations on your driving record is concerned, the state can suspend your license if you accumulate 4 violations within a 12 month period. The suspension lasts 90 days, but increases by 90 days for each additional infraction.

NOTE: There are several other ways the state can suspend or revoke your license. For more information, refer to WY Suspended License and Ticket Fines and Penalties.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review