Title Transfers in Wyoming

How to Transfer a Vehicle Title in Wyoming:
  1. Obtain the title from the seller, assigned over to you.
  2. Complete a title application form.
  3. Gather proof of identity and residency.
  4. Bring all documents, plus payment for your titling fees, to your county clerk.

Continue reading for further details on Wyoming title transfers.

New to Wyoming

As a new resident to Wyoming, you'll need to transfer your title and register your vehicle in order to drive it in your new state.

Visit your local county clerk with:

  • Your out-of-state title.
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection Form (Form MV-300A).
  • Proof of a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection.
    • This can be done by a law enforcement officer, or at your county clerk's office.
    • Be prepared to pay a $10 fee.
  • Proof of identity and Wyoming residency.
  • Lienholder information OR proof of lien release, if applicable.
  • Payment for your WY titling fees.

Buying or Selling a Vehicle in WY

Title transfers in Wyoming are handled by the county clerk's office, and the requirements may vary slightly by county. Generally, the process is different based on whether you are:

  • Buying a vehicle from a dealer.
  • Purchasing a car from a private seller.
  • Selling your own car to someone else.

If you have county specific questions that are not answered on this page, please contact your appropriate county clerk's office.

Buying from a Dealer

Generally, Wyoming dealers are able to handle the titling and registration process for you. However, you may still need to go to your local county clerk to complete the process yourself.

Make sure you are able to provide:

Buying from a Private Party

When transferring ownership between two private parties, you'll need to make sure the seller of the vehicle:

  • Assigns the title over to you.
  • Provides an affidavit (either on the title or separate to it) stating:
    • The current odometer reading.
    • A description of the make, model, and year of the vehicle.
    • Acknowledgement of penalties for providing false information.
  • Fills out a bill of sale. (Check with your county for a county issued bill of sale form and if notarization is required)
  • Gives you proof of a lien release, if applicable.

Once you have the proper paperwork from the seller, visit your local county clerk with:

  • All required documents from the seller.
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection Form (Form MV-300A).
  • Proof of:
    • Your identity and WY residency.
    • A VIN inspection.
    • This can be completed at your county clerk's office or by a law enforcement officer. There is a $10 fee for each VIN inspected.
  • Payment for WY county title transfer fees.

Selling a Wyoming Vehicle

When you sell a vehicle in Wyoming, the majority of the transfer of ownership rests with the buyer. You are, however, responsible for providing them with:

    • The properly-assigned title naming them as new owner.
    • An Affidavit of Ownership (Form MV147) explaining the title's absence, along with a notarized Bill of Sale.
      • Applicable if the title is being held by a lienholder.
  • A statement declaring information regarding:
    • Any applicable liens.
    • The odometer reading.
    • The vehicle description (make, model, year).
    • Acknowledgement of fines and penalties for providing false information.

Gifting, Donating, or Inheriting a Vehicle

Gifting or Donating a Vehicle

If you've decided to gift your car to a family member, or donate it to a charity, the process is likely very similar to that of buying or selling a vehicle from a private party.

As each Wyoming county has its own specific requirements, it is best that you contact your local clerk for details about how to gift or donate your car.

Inherited Vehicles in WY

If you are the heir to a vehicle and you are named on the title, you can apply for a new title solely in your name by visiting your county clerk with:

If you choose to sell the vehicle rather than transfer it in your own name, follow the steps prescribed above in Selling a Wyoming Vehicle, and provide the buyer with a certified copy of the death certificate.

Removing Liens from a Title

If you want to remove a lien from a title in Wyoming, your lienholder must provide you with a Release of Lien so that you can obtain a “clear" title from your county clerk.

Contact your lienholder for details on obtaining a release of lien, and then call your county clerk for steps required to obtain a new title solely in your name.

Obtain a Duplicate Title

When a Wyoming vehicle title has been lost or damaged, you'll need to apply for a replacement with the county clerk that originally issued the title.

Bring with you:

  • An affidavit describing the reason for the loss.
  • Current vehicle registration, if possible.
  • Proof of identity and residency.
  • Payment for the duplicate title fee.


Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection
Use this form to apply for a Wyoming DOT title for your vehicle, watercraft, or motorhome. Also used for VIN inspection. Form MUST be notarized.
Affidavit of Ownership
Follow the directions on this form to certify ownership of a vehicle or watercraft for which you DO NOT have a title or lien information. MUST be notarized OR signed before a county clerk or deputy.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review