Other Licenses & Endorsements in Wyoming

Wyoming Special Driver's Licenses

For certain types of vehicles and driving professions, your regular, noncommercial Wyoming driver's license will not be enough. You may need to apply for a special license class or endorsement.

The application process for a new license class/endorsement is generally similar to that of a standard WY driver's license. You'll likely need to:

  • Submit a new application.
  • Pass a knowledge test and driving evaluation.
  • Pay an additional licensing fee.

For information about applying for a standard Wyoming driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

Who Needs a Commercial License in Wyoming?

You'll need to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) if you intend to drive any of the following:

  • A vehicle or combination of vehicles whose actual, registered, or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is over 26,001 lbs and is towing a vehicle with an actual, registered, or GVWR of over 10,000 lbs (Class A license).
  • A vehicle whose actual, registered, or GVWR is over 26,001 lbs and is not towing another vehicle with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs (Class B license).
  • A vehicle under 26,001 lbs designed to either transport at least 16 passengers (including the driver) or carry hazardous materials (Class C license).

Certain driving professions require having endorsements in addition to a WY CDL, while others don't require a CDL at all. We'll sort out some common scenarios below.

For more information about obtaining a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Wyoming page.

School Bus Drivers

To transport children in a school bus, you need to have a Wyoming CDL plus a passenger ("P") and a school bus ("S") endorsement. You'll generally need to:

  • Have a clean criminal and driving record.
  • Pass a medical certification.
  • Pass a school bus knowledge test.
  • Pass the driving skills test in a school bus.

For more information, please contact the Wyoming DMV.

Shuttle Bus Drivers

Shuttle buses come in a variety of styles and sizes and are used in many different ways. You may need to obtain a CDL, along with a passenger endorsement. You may also be required to obtain other endorsements depending on your situation. Check with your potential employer to find out what is needed for your particular situation.

Wyoming Taxi Drivers and Chauffeurs

While there aren't any special statewide requirements for operating a taxi or limousine in Wyoming, local jurisdictions may impose additional stipulations. So, check with your local government to be sure. You may need to:

  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • Have a clean driving record.
  • Become certified as medically fit.
  • Pay a taxi licensing fee.

For more information, please contact the Wyoming DMV.

Sport Vehicle Drivers in Wyoming

You don't need to have a special driver's license to operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) or off-road vehicle (ORV).

While you don't need a special WY driver's license, you do need to obtain a permit to operate these vehicles on the state's public lands.

Certain vehicles may require you to be a minimum age, complete a safety course, or hold a motorcycle endorsement.

For more information about motorcycles, please visit our Motorcycle License in Wyoming page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review