Replacing a Lost Registration in Wyoming

Replace a Lost Wyoming Registration

If your vehicle registration, license plate, or license plate decals are lost, stolen, or damaged, you'll need to request replacement copies from the Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) as soon as possible. Without a valid registration card or license plate, you risk getting a ticket.

Registration transactions are handled by county treasurer's offices, and you must request replacements from the office where your registration, license plate, or sticker was issued.

If you need a duplicate vehicle title, see our page Replacing a Lost Title in Wyoming for more information.

How to Replace Your Registration in WY

You can replace a lost certificate of registration or license plate stickers through your county treasurer's office. Each county may have different requirements for replacement, including different fees.

In general, you should be able to request a replacement registration certificate or validation sticker in person.

You will need to complete a form to report what has happened to the original (lost, stolen, or mutilated), and pay a replacement fee. Fees vary by county.

If your certificate of registration or sticker is damaged, be sure to take it with you when you apply for a replacement. You should also have:

  • A form of ID, such as your driver's license.
  • Your license plate number.
  • Your vehicle identification number (VIN).

Some offices may allow requests for replacements registration by mail or online. Contact your county treasurer's office for more information about the options they offer.

How to Replace a Wyoming License Plate

If your Wyoming license plate has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you can apply for a replacement:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

You can request:

  • A duplicate license plate (reprinted with the same numbers as your original plate).
  • A replacement license plate (printed with new numbers).

Some license plates cannot be duplicated.

NOTE: If your license plate was lost or stolen, you CANNOT use a duplicate plate until the original has expired.

By Mail

To request a replacement license plate by mail, you will need:

  • The Application for New or Duplicate License Plates (Form MV-405).
    • If you need to replace an embossed license plate, you will need a different form. Contact your county treasurer for the appropriate form.
  • Your current license plate, if it is damaged.
  • Payment for fees:
    • $8 for a replacement license plate.
    • $30 for a duplicate license plate.

Mail all of your application materials to your county treasurer.

In Person

To request a replacement license plate in person, go to your county treasurer's office with:

  • The Application for New or Duplicate License Plates (Form MV-405).
    • If you are replacing an embossed license plate, ask your county treasurer for the correct application.
  • Your license plate, if it is damaged.
  • Payment for fees:
    • $8 for a replacement license plate.
    • $30 for a duplicate license plate.

Reporting Lost Registration Documents

When you reply for a replacement license plate or license plate stickers, your county treasurer will tell WYDOT, your local sheriff's department, and relevant law enforcement agencies that the item or items were lost, stolen, or damaged.

Therefore, if you are stopped for not having your plate or you are unable to show your registration, there should be a record that the items were reported lost, stolen, or damaged. This means that you should apply for replacements as soon as possible so that the appropriate agencies are aware.

You may want to file a police report yourself, especially if any other items were lost or stolen or if your vehicle was damaged. You may need a police report for your car insurance company, to prevent identity theft, or to protect against other forms of fraud.


Application for New or Duplicate License Plates
Complete this WY DOT form to apply for new OR duplicate license plates.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG