Replacing a Lost Title in Wyoming

Replacing a Lost Title in Wyoming

Your title will not be lost with the Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) on your side.

You should never buy a car without a title. The title must be replaced should any of the following apply:

  • Your title has been lost.
  • Your title has been destroyed.
  • Your title has been mutilated.

In Wyoming, you will have to go through your local county clerk office to process your title. When you receive your duplicate title, it automatically voids the original, should you find it.

Applying For a Duplicate WY Title

You can apply for a duplicate title either by mail or in person at your local WY DOT office.

Unlike most other states, Wyoming does not offer a state-wide duplicate title application. Each county presents its own. A few offer it online. Contact your local WY county clerk office for more information.

NOTE: When you apply for a duplicate title, you will be required to sign the application and have your signature notarized. Notary publics will require identification before signing off on a signature.

In Person or By Mail

To apply for your replacement WY title in person, you can visit your local WY county clerk and:

  • Complete the Duplicate Certificate of Title Application & Affidavit (Form 202-022).
  • Sign and notarize the application (and verify any other owners listed on the title have signed and had their signatures notarized as well).
  • Bring your registration certificate and information on your vehicle (make, model, year, vehicle identification number).
  • Bring photo identification.
  • Pay the $15 fee for obtaining a duplicate title.

You can also mail your completed application, documents and fees to the address listed on the application.

You will be mailed your new title.

NOTE: If you have an unsatisfied lien or if the lien has been terminated, either a statement of termination or the permission from the lien holder to carry the lien forward on a duplicate title must be sent along with your application for a duplicate title.

Change Your Name On Your Wyoming Title

If you have gone through a divorce and need to change your name on the title, there are a few options available to you:

1. Both you and the other owner can sign as sellers and have the signatures notarized. The title can then be issued in the name of the person who was awarded the car in the divorce settlement.

2. If you do not have possession of the title or if the other owner is not willing to sign as a seller, you can also bring a certified copy of your divorce decree, which must include the property settlement provisions, and apply for a new title. You will need to verify that the year, make, and vehicle number of the car are specified in the divorce decree to successfully obtain the new title. There is a $15 fee for applying for a new or duplicate title.

For more information on title situations, you can view our Title Transfers page.


Duplicate Certificate of Title Application and Affidavit
Apply for a duplicate WY title for your motor vehicle, motor home, or watercraft.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review