Replacing a Lost License in Wyoming
Replacing a Lost Wyoming Driver's License
It can be a shock to open your wallet or purse and discover that your driver's license has vanished. Whether you have lost your driver's license or someone has stolen it, the idea of being without identification is not a pleasant one―and concerns about identity theft make replacing your driver's license even more important.
Fortunately, the state of Wyoming has created licenses that are nearly impossible to duplicate. Extra safety measures like holograms might assuage your fears of counterfeiting. Continue reading this page to find out exactly what you need to do to replace your lost or stolen WY driver's license.
NOTE: If you've lost your commercial driver's license (CDL) but found yourself in this section, head over to our Replacing a Lost CDL section for more information.
Obtain a Duplicate License in Wyoming
In order to receive a duplicate Wyoming driver's license, you will need to go to an exam center.
If you have not previously provided the required documents or if any of the information has changed, you'll also need to present:
- A completed Wyoming Driver License Application (Form FSDL-705).
- Proof of identification, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as your Social Security card or a W-2 form.
- 2 documents to prove you are a Wyoming resident, such as current utility bills or your lease agreement.
NOTE: The WY Department of Transportation (DOT) website provides a complete list of accepted documents.
If you are required to pass any tests for your next driver's license renewal, you will need to do so before receiving your duplicate driver's license.
The Wyoming Department of Transportation will assess a renewal license fee of $30. If you have a motorcycle class code, tack on an additional $6 to your fee.
Out-of-State License Replacement
NOTE: You may only renew/replace your license by mail once every 10 years. If you are not eligible to renew your driver's license or ID by mail, your duplicate license will maintain the same expiration date.
If your WY driver's license is lost or stolen while you are out of the state or out of the country, you have options depending on your circumstances.
If you WILL return to Wyoming within 60 days to apply for a duplicate in person, you may contact WYDOT to request a temporary replacement until your return, either by phone at (307) 777-4806 or by email.
If you WILL NOT return to Wyoming within 60 days, follow these steps for a mail-in renewal:
- Complete a Wyoming Driver License Application (Form FSDL-705).
- Provide 2 documents for proof of your WY residency.
- Include your driver's license renewal/replacement fee:
- $30 for a driver's license; $10 for an ID card.
- Add an additional $6 if you are replacing a license with a motorcycle endorsement.
- If you need your license mailed to your out-of-state location, include a completed Forwarding Request form.
- Mail your application to:
5300 Bishop Blvd
Cheyenne, WY 82009
The WY DOT indicates you should allow 30 days for application processing.
It's a good idea to keep photocopies of your WY driver license in your possession while you're traveling, just in case your driver's license is lost or stolen. That way, you'll have a record of your driver's license number, the expiration date, and other useful information if you should need to contact WYDOT for a replacement.