Other Vehicle Registrations in Wyoming

SUMMARY: How to Register Your Special Vehicle Type in Wyoming

Wyoming's Department of Transportation (DOT) requires snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles (ATV), trailers, motorhomes, custom-built cars, and other special vehicles to be registered. Most vehicles are registered using the same process as standard cars and trucks. Find your vehicle type below for specifics.

Registering an ATV in Wyoming

To register your all-terrain vehicle (ATV), simply bring the title certificate into your local Wyoming county treasurer's office and pay a registration fee that's based on the vehicle's factory cost.

You'll also need an Off-Road Recreational Vehicle (ORV) permit to operate on Wyoming's public lands. This annual permit is $15 and can be obtained from a variety of locations, including some local businesses, Bureau and Land Management offices, and some county treasurer offices.

You can also order your ORV online at the Wyoming State Parks, Historic Sites, & Trails website, or by calling (877) 996-7275.

Registering a Snowmobile

All snowmobiles must be titled with your Wyoming county clerk.

In addition, you need to pay an annual user fee with either your county treasurer or with any Wyoming permit selling agent. When you pay the $35 fee, you'll receive a user fee decal that must be affixed, in full view, on the left side of the snowmobile's cowl.

The decals are valid from December to April 1st, and must be renewed annually.

Registering a Trailer in WY

Trailers Under 1,000 Pounds

All trailers under 1,000 lbs. must be titled with the Wyoming DOT. Trailers must be titled first before registering.

If you tow a homemade trailer, you'll need to obtain a vehicle identification number (VIN) from the Wyoming DOT in order for it to be titled. To apply for a VIN, complete an Application for Assignment of Special Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) (Form MV-401) and mail it with your payment to the address specified on the form.

After you're assigned a VIN, the trailer will need to be inspected by a law enforcement officer.

To register a trailer under 1,000 lbs. (empty weight) you must:

Trailers Over 1,000 Pounds

To register a trailer weighing 1,000 lbs or more, you must:

  • Visit your local county treasurer's office.
  • Bring a weight certificate.
  • Bring the trailer's title.
  • Pay all applicable fees.

Multipurpose Vehicles

If you have a multipurpose vehicle, you must register it with the WY DOT if you plan on operating it on any street or highway in the state. If you are not going to drive it on public streets or highways, you don't need to register it, but it will still need to be titled.

NOTE: You may NOT operate your multipurpose vehicle on interstate highways.

Registration fees will vary depending on the factory price of your multipurpose vehicle. For more information, contact the Wyoming Department of Transportation.

Multipurpose vehicles are defined as vehicles that:

  • Have at least 4 wheels.
  • Weigh between 300 and 3,000 lbs. (empty weight).
  • Have a driver seat.
  • Have an identifying number.

For more information, visit the Wyoming DOT website.

Motorhomes and RVs in Wyoming

Make sure your motorhome or recreational vehicle (RV) is registered properly in Wyoming before you take it for a drive. The process is the same as registering a regular car; however, fees may vary.

For more information, visit our page on Registering a Car in Wyoming.

Custom-Built Cars

Registering a custom-built car in Wyoming follows the same general process as registering a regular vehicle. You will notice, however, that you'll need to first apply for a vehicle identification number (VIN) before the WY DOT will accept your application.

To do this, have your custom vehicle inspected by an authorized law enforcement officer who will provide you with a completed form stating your vehicle doesn't currently have a VIN.

Once you've completed this step, you will need the following items:

Mail all of the above to the address listed on the application form. When the Wyoming DOT assigns a VIN to your vehicle, you will be able to register your vehicle following the steps on our Wyoming Car Registration page.

WY Moped Registration

Mopeds DO NOT have to be registered in Wyoming.

The state defines a moped as a vehicle with:

  • 2 to 3 wheels.
  • Foot pedals that help power the vehicle (like a bicycle).
  • An automatic transmission.
  • An engine up to 50 cc and up to 2 hp.
  • A top speed of 30 MPH.

If your vehicle exceeds these limits, it may be classed as a motorcycle and will require registration as a motorcycle.


Application for Assignment of Special Vehicle Identification Number VIN
Request a VIN for a vehicle that currently does not have one. MUST be completed by a Wyoming law enforcement officer.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review