Motorcycle License in Wyoming

Between its wide open spaces and diverse, beautiful environment, one wonders why anyone in WY drives a car.

If you're someone who prefers the wind in your hair while taking in the vistas in the open air, you'll need to get your motorcycle license through the Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT).

New to Wyoming

Congratulations on your move! Once you're officially settled in Wyoming, you have 1 year to transfer your out-of-state license.

There are a few exceptions to this rule, however. Ask your local WYDOT office about the timeframe for transferring licenses from:

  • Georgia.
  • Massachusetts.
  • Michigan.
  • Tennessee.
  • Wisconsin.

To begin the process, visit a WYDOT office and:

The Department of Transportation may also require you to take a written and/or road test. This step is at the discretion of the Wyoming DOT. While the requirement is rare, it may be wise to prepare for both exams.

After completing all of the above, you'll be issued your Wyoming motorcycle license.

Motorcycle Eligibility Requirements

In Wyoming, permission to ride a motorcycle is given through an endorsement attached to your regular WY driver's license. If this is your first time applying for any license in Wyoming, you'll also need to follow the steps to earn a standard WY driver's license.

To earn your Wyoming motorcycle endorsement, you must:

  • Be at least:
    • 15 years old to earn a permit.
    • 17 years old to obtain a full license.
  • Present all proper identifying documents, if this is your first WY license.
  • Provide proof of a motorcycle education course, if applicable.
    • This allows you to waive the motorcycle written and skills tests.
  • Pass a written test.
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test prior to testing for your full license (unless you took the aforementioned education course).

How to Get a WY Motorcycle Permit

Once you're at least 15 years old and ready to pursue your motorcycle permit, visit your local WY Department of Transportation office, and:

  • Take the written motorcycle test.
  • Pass a vision screening.
  • Pay the motorcycle permit fee:
    • Restricted instruction permit: $10.
    • Instruction permit: $20.

At this point, you should be issued one of several permit types, depending on your age and driving experience... keep reading for details.

Permit Types & Limitations

If you're at least 15 years old, you'll be issued a restricted-use instruction permit, which:

  • Are valid for 90 days.
  • Do NOT allow you to carry passengers.

If you also pass a driving test, you'll instead receive an instruction permit valid for 1 year. Ask your local WYDOT office for more details.

You may also qualify for an intermediate permit if you:

  • Are at least 16 years old.
  • Have at least 50 hours driving practice.
  • Must include at least 10 hours of night driving.
  • Have a parent or guardian certify your practice hours.

Intermediate permit holders are also NOT allowed to carry passengers.

WY Motorcycle Skills Test

The final piece of the motorcycle endorsement puzzle is successfully passing a skills test.

Make sure the WYDOT office you plan on visiting offers motorcycle road testing. There may also be an additional fee to take the skills test. Make sure to ask your local testing office for more information.

How to Get a Motorcycle Endorsement in Wyoming

You'll be eligible for your Wyoming motorcycle endorsement after EITHER:

The rest is easy. Simply head to your local Wyoming DOT office with:

    • Proof of passing your written and skills tests.
    • Your motorcycle education course completion card AND Wyoming driver's license.
  • Your motorcycle permit, if applicable.
  • The $11 motorcycle endorsement fee.

If this is the first license you've applied for in Wyoming, you'll also need:

Additional fees or forms may apply. Contact your local WYDOT office for more information.

Motorcycle Education Courses in WY

Participating in a Basic Rider Course (BRC) is another option for getting your Wyoming motorcycle permit. To qualify, you'll need to:

  • Be at least 15 years old.
    • Participants under 18 years old must have written permission from a parent or guardian.
  • Pay the proper fee, including:
    • $50 for Wyoming residents.
    • $150 for non-residents.

To get started, check out the course schedule, and sign up for a class online.

Motorcycle Testing Waiver

Successfully passing your education course allows you to skip out on taking the written or skills test with the Wyoming Department of Transportation.

Instead, you'll be issued a course completion card from your course instructor.

Bring the card with you when applying for your motorcycle endorsement. The course completion card will be good up to 2 years after the card was issued.

WY Motorcycle Endorsement Fees

The Wyoming Department of Transportation charges the following for motorcycle endorsements and related services:

  • Restricted instruction permit (90 days): $10.
  • Instruction permit (1 year): $20.
  • Motorcycle education course:
    • Wyoming residents: $50.
    • Non-residents: $150.
  • Motorcycle endorsement: $11.
  • Original Wyoming license: $45.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review