Name Change in Wyoming

SUMMARY: How to Change Your Name in Wyoming

To change your name on your WY driver’s license/ID card and vehicle documents, you'll need to first update your name on your Social Security card. Once this is done, you will need to head to your local WY DOT office and submit all required documents and payment for updated documents, listed below.

Continue reading this page to find out all about changing your name on your Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) documents.

Change Your Name with the SSA

Before changing your name with the Wyoming DOT, you must first update your Social Security card. Submit the following documents to the Social Security Administration (SSA) either by mail or in person:

  • A completed Application for Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • Documents to prove your:
    • Identity (e.g. driver's license, ID card, passport).
    • Lawful U.S. presence (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, work permit and I-94, U.S. citizenship certificate).
    • Name change (e.g. court order, marriage certificate, divorce decree).

Visit the SSA website for more information about the documents you'll need to submit for a corrected Social Security card.

You should receive your updated Social Security card in the mail within about 14 business days.

WY Driver's License & ID Card Name Change

Once you've changed your name, you must notify the Wyoming DOT within 10 days.

To change your name on your Wyoming driver's license or identification card, you'll need to visit your local WY DOT office and:

  • Surrender your current WY driver's license/ID card.
  • Show proof of your name change, such as your:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Divorce decree.
    • Court order.
  • Have your photo taken.
  • Provide your signature.
  • Pay the fee.

You should receive your updated WY driver's license/ID in the mail in about 4 weeks.

NOTE: Make sure you've changed your name with the SSA before visiting the WY DOT office.

Car Registration & Title Name Change

To change your name on your vehicle registration and certificate of title, you will likely need to submit proof of your name change to the WY DOT in person. This includes your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other court order.

You will likely also need:

  • Your current certificate of title.
  • Your current registration document.
  • Payment for the replacement fee.

For complete instructions, please contact your local Wyoming DOT office directly.

Fees to Change Your Name in WY

To change your name on your Department of Transportation (DOT) documents, you may need to pay the following fees:

  • Driver's license: $35.
  • Identification card: $10.
  • Duplicate title certificate: Contact your local WY county DOT office.

Get in touch with the Wyoming DOT for more fee information, including accepted payment methods.

Change Your Wyoming Address

If you've changed your address in Wyoming, you must update your WY DOT records within 10 days of your move. You aren't required to obtain an updated driver's license or ID card, but if you wish to, you will need to appear in person at a DOT office.

For more information, visit our Change of Address in Wyoming page.


Application for a Social Security Card
This form can be used to apply for, replace, OR change your name on your Social Security card.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review