Commercial Driver FAQs in Wyoming

How do I apply for commercial driver's license (CDL) in Wyoming?

Obtaining a CDL is a little more complicated than applying for a regular license. It takes specific skills to operate unwieldy commercial vehicles, and drivers need to have an expansive knowledge of the special subjects pertaining to those vehicles. But the end result is being able to drive big trucks. We cover how to apply for a CDL in step-by-step detail.

What's the difference between a Class A, B, or C license?

Here's the breakdown:

  • Class A: Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more and the ability to tow more than 10,000 lbs.
  • Class B: GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more but towing capacity under 10,000 lbs.
  • Class C: GVWR under 26,001 lbs. intended to carry 16 passengers or more (endorsement needed) or any vehicle that requires a hazardous materials placard (endorsement needed). This is also the class for most drivers in the state, as it covers passenger cars and light trucks, and even small mobile homes.

If I have CDL license for one class, does that mean I can drive in any class?

That depends on what class you have. If you have a Class A license, you are permitted to operate both Class B and Class C vehicles (and just about any other vehicle on the road). However, the same does not apply to the other classes. If you have a Class B license, you can operate vehicles also in Class C. If you only own a Class C license, which includes noncommercial vehicles, then you can operate only Class C vehicles.

I am turning 18 years old next week. Can I get a CDL then?

Yes, if you pass all of the examination requirements. But if you are issued a license, it will be restricted to intrastate-only until you reach the age of 21 years old. Only after you've turned 21 years old can you drive a commercial vehicles across state lines.

What is the difference between intrastate and interstate?

If your CDL allows you to travel interstate, you can travel between states. If your CDL restricts you to intrastate, then you can only operate a commercial vehicle in the confines of Wyoming.

Where can I get the DOT medical form?

In most cases the physician performing the physical will have a copy of the form. If not, you can print one out.

Can I take the CDL exam through a trucking company or school?

Third-party testers authorized by the state are only allowed to administer the skills tests to their own employees. So if you are the employee of a trucking company and they are licensed to provide the test, then the answer is yes. In all other cases, testing is done at WYDOT exam offices.

When I take the CDL at an exam office, do they have a vehicle for me to take it in?

No. You must provide your own vehicle. Not only that, but the vehicle needs to be in the proper class. Thus, if you are applying for a Class A license, you will need to take the skills test in a Class A vehicle.

How much does it cost to take the skills test?

There is a $85 fee. To make an appointment, contact your local exam office.

I just moved here from Colorado and have a CDL license from that state. Can I just use it in Wyoming?

No. You have 30 days to make the exchange or face penalties. Also, if you have a hazardous materials endorsement on your out-of-state license, you will need to pass another Hazmat written test before earning the endorsement on the Wyoming license.

Can I submit my Hazmat background check and have my fingerprints taken at an exam office?

No. This is a specialized process handled at the federal level by the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA). Read detailed information about the procedures and see a list of TSA fingerprinting offices in the state.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review