Car Registration in Wyoming

SUMMARY: How to Register Your Vehicle in Wyoming

To register your vehicle in Wyoming, you must go to your county treasurer's office in person. Bring your title, proof of insurance, and payment for your registration fee. If your vehicle is leased, new to the state, purchased from a dealer, or heavier than a standard car, you will need to submit additional items (see below).

The Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) requires all drivers to register their vehicles and carry proof of registration in the vehicle.

You must register your vehicle in person at your local WY county treasurer's office. You cannot register your vehicle online, by mail, or by phone.

New to Wyoming?

Wyoming law requires all new WY residents to register their vehicles as soon as they become residents of the state. To be considered a WY resident, you must meet any of the following requirements:

  • Work in Wyoming AND own, rent or lease a residence.
  • Purchase or hold a current resident hunting or fishing license.
  • File a homestead tax exemption.
  • File a military tax exemption.
  • Live in Wyoming for 120 days.

Once you satisfy Wyoming residency requirements, you must visit your local county treasurer's office to register your vehicle. For detailed instructions, see “Registering a Vehicle in Wyoming" below.

Temporary Worker Registrations

If you're employed in Wyoming for less than 120 days, you must obtain temporary registration for your vehicle. You must apply in person at your local WY county treasurer office.

Temporary worker registrations are available on a month-to-month basis. The fee is $50.

Temporary Permit Exemptions

You do NOT have to apply for your temporary work permit if you:

  • Commute to work in Wyoming but reside in a neighboring state.
  • Attend a university or college full time in Wyoming.

However, you must hold current/valid registration from your home state.

Temporary In-Transit Permit

The Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) offers in-transit permits for 48 hours that allow you to transport a vehicle outside of WY. You must submit proof of insurance and other documentation to a Wyoming county treasurer office.

The fee is $20 per vehicle.

Registering a Vehicle in Wyoming

Make sure you have an active car insurance policy when registering your vehicle.

Compare rates and buy your policy online: Visit the Insurance Center >>

To register your vehicle in Wyoming, you must visit your local county treasurer's office and bring:

  • A copy of your vehicle title (or the title number).
  • Current registration from your previous state (if applicable).
  • Proof of insurance.
  • Your vehicle identification number (VIN), if the vehicle is currently financed.
  • A copy of the dealer invoice, if you purchased the vehicle at a dealership.
  • Your lease agreement (if applicable).
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection (MV-300A).
  • A weight slip, if you are registering a:
    • Pick-up truck.
    • Motor home.
    • Trailer (except pull-behind campers) or a horse trailer with living quarters.
  • Payment for all required county and state fees and taxes.
    • See “WY Registration Fees and Penalties" below.

Wyoming Military & Non-Resident Vehicle Registration

Members of the military are subject to different regulations depending on whether they are Wyoming residents or non-residents stationed in Wyoming.

WY Military Residents

Wyoming residents serving in the military and stationed in Wyoming can register their vehicles with the DMV by following the instructions outlined in the section above, “Registering a Vehicle in Wyoming."

Non-Resident Military Members in Wyoming

Non-residents stationed in Wyoming are NOT required to register their vehicles in Wyoming as long as they have a valid/current registration from their home-of-record and proper insurance.

If you're a non-resident military member and would like to register your vehicle in Wyoming, you qualify for a tax exemption. To receive the tax exemption, you must:

Vehicle Registration Fees

The Wyoming DOT charges both a county fee and state fee for vehicle registration.

County Fee

County fees vary by county. These are property taxes based on the price listed on your title and year of service rate (or valuation percentage).

Use the following formula to calculate your county fee:

Factory Cost X Year of Service Rate (see below) X .03 = County Fee

Service Rates

  • 1st Year: 60%.
  • 2nd Year: 50%.
  • 3rd Year: 40%.
  • 4th Year: 30%.
  • 5th Year: 20%.
  • 6th Year: 15%.

State Fee

The Wyoming vehicle registration fees are as follows:

  • Passenger vehicles: $30.
  • Trucks and trailers: $5 to $90.
  • Motorcycles: $25.
  • Campers: $30 to $90.
  • Temporary vehicle registration fee: $50 per month.
  • Temporary in-transit permit: $20 per vehicle (valid for 48 hours).

For more information about your specific fees in WY, please contact your local county treasurer's office directly.


Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection
Use this form to apply for a Wyoming DOT title for your vehicle, watercraft, or motorhome. Also used for VIN inspection. Form MUST be notarized.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review