Paperwork When Buying a Car in Wyoming

When you buy a car in Wyoming, you'll need certain documents from the seller so you can properly transfer ownership into your name.

Use this guide to learn more about the paperwork required by Wyoming's Department of Transportation (DOT) for titling and registration following a purchase.

Paperwork for Wyoming Car Buyers

The paperwork required to title and register a WY vehicle can vary depending on whether you buy it from a dealership or in a private sale. Follow this guide to know what you'll need.

Vehicles Purchased at a Dealership

When you buy a car at a Wyoming dealership, the dealer generally submits each of the documents required for titling and registration to your local county clerk's office. Follow-up with your dealer to confirm.

In the event that you do indeed have to handle this paperwork yourself, make sure you leave the dealership with one or all of the following:

  • A Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin.
    • This is typically issued for new vehicles that have yet to be titled in Wyoming. The dealer must sign this document and it must be notarized.
  • The vehicle's title, if it has already been recorded with the state.
    • Often given to you if the vehicle was used or certified pre-owned.
  • A dealer's invoice.
    • This functions as a receipt and/or bill of sale.

Vehicles Purchased in a Private Sale

If you purchase a vehicle through a private seller or your dealer does not file paperwork on your behalf, you'll need to receive the following documents so you may transfer ownership yourself:

  • The vehicle title.
    • Complete all transfer sections, including:
      • The odometer disclosure.
      • Notarized signatures from you and the seller.
      • The purchase price and sale date.
  • A bill of sale.
    • Needed to prove ownership.
    • Include the following information:
      • A vehicle description.
      • The vehicle identification number (VIN).
      • The purchase price.
      • The sale date.
      • Signatures from you and the seller.

Vehicle Sales with Missing Titles

Since titling and registration is handled through each county clerk's office, the process for replacing a lost title varies according to your county of residence.

Never agree to purchase a vehicle without the title in hand. If the seller doesn't have a title, he or she must apply for a new title before completing the sale.

The form the seller needs to complete varies. Visit your local county clerk's website.

Wyoming Vehicle Registration Paperwork

To title and register your vehicle following a purchase, you'll need to go to your local county clerk's office. Exact requirements may vary slightly according to your county of residence. For details, visit our guide to vehicle registration in your state.

Registering Out-of-State Vehicles

In addition to the documents above, you may also need the following documents when registering an out-of-state vehicle:

  • Certificate of Title.
  • The current out-of-state vehicle registration.
  • Proof of paid sales tax.
  • A vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection certificate.
    • Completed by law enforcement in your county of residence.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review