Dealer Licensing in Wyoming

Before you can go into business buying, exchanging, or otherwise dealing with motor vehicles in Wyoming, you probably need a car dealer license and an approved established place of business. We have all the details for you below.

Do You Need a WY Dealer License?

You must obtain a Wyoming car dealer license if you’re in the business of selling or exchanging 3 motor vehicles or more in 12 consecutive months.

Apply for WY Car Dealer License

To apply for your Wyoming dealer license, submit the following to the WY Department of Transportation (WYDOT):

  • A completed Application for Wyoming Vehicle Dealer and Manufacturer License (Form MV-422).
  • Documentation of your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN).
  • Copy of your Wyoming Sales/Use Tax License from the Wyoming Department of Revenue (DOR).
  • If you’re a:
    • Corporation, LLC, or LLP: Copy of your Articles of Incorporation or Organization from the Wyoming Secretary of State (SOS).
    • Franchise dealer (i.e. will sell new cars): Copy of your franchise or dealer sales and service agreements.
  • Color photographs of your business location and sign, showing your business meets Wyoming’s requirements for car dealerships.
  • Written approval from the city or county zoning authority.
  • Copy of the lease or rental agreement for your business premises(if applicable).
  • Criminal background check materials and fees for EACH owner, officer, and member. These include:
  • A check made payable to “Wyoming Department of Transportation” or “WYDOT” for the applicable fees:
    • Application fees are based on how many vehicles you sell in the 12 months leading up to the date of your application; if you sold:
      • Fewer than 12 motor vehicles: $25as a first-time applicant, this will likely be what you owe.
      • 12 motor vehicles or more: $100.

Mail everything to:

WYDOT ATTN: Motor Vehicle Services
5300 Bishop Blvd.
Cheyenne, WY 82009

In addition to completing the application requirements above, you must also make sure your dealership meets Wyoming’s criteria for car dealerships, which we’ll cover next.

NOTE: You must purchase a $25,000 surety bond, but you don’t have to have it executed until WYDOT approves your application. Once WYDOT approves your application, review the instructions for executing the bond and file the bond using the Vehicle Dealer Bond (Form MV-424).

Renewing Your License

Your car dealer license is valid for 1 year, and your expiration date will correspond with the date you post your surety bond. You must renew your dealer license before the expiration date.

Requirements for WY Car Dealerships

WYDOT requires the following of principal place of business (i.e your car dealership):

  • Your business must be located in a permanent building.
    • Can’t be a residence.
    • Must be where you store daily dealer records of inventory.
    • Must have a landline telephone with a number published in the phone book.
  • There must be space to display at least 5 motor vehicles IF you sell 12 motor vehicles or more annually.
  • Your exterior business sign must be permanently affixed to the building or land and clearly visible from the street.
    • If you sell fewer than 12 motor vehicles annually, the sign must display your business telephone number.
  • You must occupy the building on a continuous basis.
    • If you don’t, you must provide WYDOT with a written notice.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review