Applying for Special Plates in Wyoming
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
You can apply for special plates in Wyoming online or by mail. Your special plate renewal is part of your vehicle registration renewal. You may be able to transfer your special plates to a new vehicle, and you can replace them if they're lost or stolen. Fees will vary from plate to plate.
The Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) offers several special plates. Additionally, car owners can apply for personalized license plates.
- Wondering what kinds of special plates WYDOT offers? Visit our page on Types of Special Plates in Wyoming for details.
- Looking to obtain a handicapped license plate? Our Disability Plates and Placards page can help you out.
Applying for Special Plates in Wyoming
While WYDOT allows you to apply for all types of special plates by mail, only a select few are available for online ordering.
You may apply for the following types of special plates online by visiting the DOT website:
- Prestige (personalized) plates.
- Before requesting a personalized plate, you can also check the availability of your desired plate combination online.
- Gold Star plates.
- To order these plates, you must be the parent, grandparent, spouse, child, or sibling a military member who died during service.
- Veteran plates.
- You may be required to provide documentation of your proof of service.
NOTE: You can also use the online ordering service to order an embossed version of an existing plate currently in your possession.
To apply for a special plate by mail, go to the DOT Special Plate page and click on your desired plate to find the plate's corresponding application.
Send the following to the address listed on your desired plate's application:
- The completed application.
- Any additional required documents/proof of eligibility for the plate.
- Payment for applicable fees.
REMINDER: Before mailing an application for a personalized plate, you can use the online ordering system to check the availability of your desired message/number.
The following plate types are ONLY issued through the WYDOT-Motor Vehicle Services:
- Street Rod.
- Custom Vehicle.
To learn more about these plates, visit our WY Types of Specialty Plates page.
Renewing Your Special Plate
Your Wyoming special plates are renewed as part of your registration renewal. Additional special plate renewal fees may apply in addition to your standard renewal fees.
To learn more about renewing your registration, visit our Registration Renewal page.
Replacing WY Special License Plates
If your special license plates are lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can order duplicate plates by taking the following steps:
- Complete an Application for New or Duplicate License Plates (Form MV-405).
- Pay the $30 duplicate license plate fee.
- Mail the above to the address on the application.
NOTE: You cannot use this form to replace an embossed plate. You must reapply for your embossed plate.
Transferring Special Plates in Wyoming
If you sell your car and buy a new vehicle, the registration expires immediately on your old vehicle. You must register your new vehicle and transfer your plates within 45 days of your purchase.
If you choose not to transfer your special plates, surrender them to your county treasurer's office.
For more information on transferring your special plate, contact your local vehicle services office.
Fees for WY Special Plates
Initial application and renewal fees for special or personalized Wyoming license plates may vary depending on the plate.
Plate fees are in addition to standard registration fees.
Specific plate fees can be found on each corresponding application.
If you wish to have your license plate embossed, you will pay a $50 fee.