Applying for a New CDL in Wyoming
CDL Cheat Sheet - Time Saver
With Commercial Driver's License Cheat Sheets, it's like having the answers before you take the test. Only $9.95!
- Computer, tablet, or mobile phone
- Just print and go to the DMV
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
CDL Eligibility Requirements in WY
To qualify for a Wyoming commercial driver's license, you'll need to:
- Already have a valid, non-commercial Wyoming driver's license.
- Be at least:
- 18 years old to drive within WY only—called intrastate driving.
- 21 years old to drive outside of Wyoming—called interstate driving.
You'll also need to bring in paperwork to prove your:
- Identity—examples include:
- Birth certificate—required for first-time applicants.
- U.S. passport—acceptable in lieu of a birth certificate.
- Wyoming residency (2 documents), such as a:
- Current utility bill.
- Lease or mortgage agreement.
- Social Security number.
For more details on identity documents, please see the Wyoming commercial driver manual.
WY Commercial Learner's Permit
Before you can get your CDL, you'll have to get your CLP—that is, commercial learner's permit.
The process is a bit involved, so it might be helpful to take a CDL education course first, to help ensure you're as successful as possible.
Whenever you feel ready to begin, visit your local WYDOT office and be prepared to:
- Bring the proper identifying documents (see above for details).
- Have all of your medical paperwork with you. For more information, keep reading below.
- Take an eye exam.
- You must have at least 20/40 vision with both eyes.
- Pay the $40 commercial learner's permit fee.
You'll also need to take all written exams at this time for the class of CDL you are applying for, and any endorsements you want to add to your commercial driver license. You'll need to get at least 80% to pass.
Once all of the above is finished, you'll officially be issued your commercial learner's permit—congratulations!
Your CLP will be valid for 180 days, and you can renew it once, making it good for an additional 180 days.
CLP Restrictions in Wyoming
Obtaining your WY commercial learner's permit is an important first step, but while driving with it, you'll have to follow some rules.
You'll have to wait at least 14 days before you can take the skills exam to earn your full commercial driver license.
If you're not ready by that point, it's okay! Your permit will be valid for 180 days, and you'll be able to renew it for another 180 days, so you'll have plenty of time to practice before taking your skills exam.
Additionally, per Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations you'll be restricted to driving:
- On public roads only.
- While accompanied by a full CDL holder.
- Must be licensed to drive the same class of vehicle.
Getting Your Wyoming CDL
There's only one step left between you and your WY commercial driver's license: the skills exam.
When at least 14 days have passed and you feel ready, schedule an appointment with your local WY Department of Transportation office.
You'll need to pay the $80 testing fee in advance. Keep in mind that if you need to cancel for any reason, you'll have to do so at least 24 hours before, or you'll lose your testing fee.
You'll also have to arrange to take the test in the same type of vehicle you plan on driving with your commercial driver's license. Since you'll technically still be a CLP holder, you'll need a full CDL holder to accompany you to the exam.
Make sure to bring your:
- Wyoming driver's license.
- Commercial learner's permit.
- Medical information. (See below for details.)
- $50 CDL fee.
The exam itself consists of several parts, including the:
- Pre-trip inspection.
- Basic vehicle control test.
- On-road test.
After passing each section and paying the fee, you'll be issued your own CDL, and be ready to hit the road!
WY Commercial Driver's License Fees
The Wyoming Department of Transportation currently charges the following for CDLs and related services:
- Commercial learner's permit: $40.
- Skills exam: $80.
- Paid in advance of your test.
- Commercial driver's license: $50.
- Renewal: $40.
- Class change: $20.
The WYDOT accepts payment in the form of:
- Money orders.
Wyoming CDL Medical Certification
Every commercial driver license applicant in Wyoming must be deemed physically fit before they can apply for a commercial learner's permit.
To be considered medically certified by the WYDOT, you'll need to fill out a:
- Wyoming Commercial Driver License Application (Form FSCDL-705).
- Medical Examiner's Certificate (Form MCSA-5876).
- Must be completed by a FMCSA-approved doctor.
Remember, you'll need to take care of all of your medical forms before you can apply for your commercial learner's permit.
To complete the application, you'll need to go through a process called self-certification, where you declare the type of driving you intend on doing in the state—interstate or intrastate.
For more information on how self-certification works, you can check out the flow chart created by the Wyoming Department of Transportation.
WYDOT also has a page full of more details on the general medical certification process.
Military CDL Skills Test Waiver
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and WYDOT have created a program to help some service members get their CDL more easily by waiving the skills exam.*
To qualify, you'll need to be an active duty service member OR recent discharge, who has held a military position within the last 12 months that required operation of a commercial vehicle.
To apply, you and your commanding officer will need to fill out the Application for Military Skills Test Waiver (REV 2016).
Bring the application with you during your CLP appointment.
* NOTE: Eligible applicants will still need to pass all written exams and pay any and all applicable fees.
Application for Military Skills Test Waiver
Submit this form to waive the Wyoming CDL skills test if you recently drove a commercial vehicle in the military. Must be signed by a commanding officer.
|Download Open the form|
Commercial Driver License Application
Apply for a Wyoming CDL using this form.
|Download Open the form|
Medical Examiners Certificate
Submit this medical certification form to the Wyoming DOT as a part of your CDL application. MUST be completed by a medical professional.
|Download Open the form|