Replacing a Lost License in West Virginia
LifeLock Identity Protection starting at $9.99/mo
Our proprietary technology alerts you to a wide range of identity threats.
- SSN and Credit Alerts†
- Bank & Credit Card Activity Alerts†
- Alerts on Crimes in Your Name
- 10% Off Your First Year
No one can prevent all identity theft. † LifeLock does not monitor all transactions at all businesses. Terms and applicable taxes apply.
Replacing a Lost West Virginia Driver's License
You must replace a lost, stolen, or damaged driver's license if you plan on operating a motor vehicle. Fortunately, replacing a lost driver's license in West Virginia is not a difficult process
Continue reading below for more information about how to get a duplicate driver's license from the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
To find out how to replace your CDL, please visit our page about Replacing a Lost CDL.
Obtain a Duplicate License in West Virginia
The steps for replacing both a driver's license that is NOT for federal identification purposes and a license compliant with REAL ID requirements are similar, but each requires different documentation. See "REAL ID Replacements" below for details.
Visit a WV DMV location to complete an application, and provide the required documents and fees. You will need:
- Proof of identity—1 document, such as:
- A birth certificate.
- A U.S. passport.
- Proof of WV residency—2 documents, such as:
- A utility bill.
- A paycheck stub.
- Payment for fees.
- The fee to replace a WV driver's license may vary based on your age and current expiration because the DMV is transitioning to licenses valid for 5 years. For more information about driver's license fees in West Virginia, visit the West Virginia DMV website.
- A school enrollment form, if you are under 18 years old (also known as a driver eligibility form). You can obtain this form at your school or local Board of Education office.
REAL ID Driver License Replacements
For a lost, damaged, or stolen driver's license that is compliant with REAL ID regulations, you may need different or additional documentation. The WV DMV provides a complete list of accepted documents that meet REAL ID driver's license requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pay an additional processing fee of $10 to replace your REAL ID driver's license. Contact the WV DMV directly for more information.
Out-of-State License Replacement
If you are out of the state due to work, school, or military duty and your WV driver's license is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can contact the DMV:
- By phone at (304) 558-3900 OR (800) 642-9066.
- Via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Report a Missing WV Driver's License
During the process of completing your West Virginia duplicate license application, you will need to select whether your driver's license has been damaged, stolen, or lost. This information is sufficient enough to report the incident to the DMV.
There are no additional steps to take unless you would like to obtain a police record of the incident.
In this case, you must report the lost or stolen driver's license to law enforcement, who will then issue a report. A police report can be helpful if you are the victim of identity theft and fraud.