DMV Practice Tests in West Virginia
|Driver Permit Test Packages||Basic||Complete||Plus||Sample Test|
|Number of Questions||50||100||100||25|
|100% Online Practice Test||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|State Driver Preparation Course||x||x||✔||x|
|Start Test||Start Test||Start Test||Start Test|
Taking an online DMV practice test can significantly increase your chances of passing the WV written exam. Various types of online practice tests are available in West Virginia, including those to help you obtain your learner's permit, motorcycle license, and commercial driver's license (CDL).
Continue reading this page for more details about WV DMV practice tests.
Take a WV DMV Practice Test
Online practice tests come with either 50 questions or 100 questions; the choice is yours. If you need extra help with studying for the test, you can take a Driver's Prep Course (interactive multimedia course) or study using a printable DMV Study Guide.
In West Virginia, there are several online DMV practice tests to choose from:
- WV learner's permit practice test: To obtain your learner's permit when you turn 15 years old, you'll need to pass the DMV written test. Take this practice test to prepare for the exam.
- Regular driver's license practice test.
- Also available is the Spanish version (examen de practica para la licencia).
- Motorcycle license practice test: This practice test will quiz you on the rules of the road that relate specifically to operating a motorcycle in West Virginia.
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) practice test.
- You can also take a CDL endorsement practice test if you're interested in applying for a specific endorsement, such as the school bus, passenger, or doubles and triples endorsements.
- Free road signs practice test.
Benefits of WV DMV Practice Tests
The West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) administers a written exam based on traffic laws that can be found in the Driver Licensing Handbook. By spending the extra time to take an online DMV practice test, you'll be in a much better position to pass the DMV written test. You'll also benefit from having:
- Another method to learn and review information from the handbook.
- A good look at the types of questions that may appear on the exam.
- A better awareness of what you need to study.
Sample West Virginia DMV Practice Test Questions
The best way to study for the WV written exam is by taking an online DMV practice test. Here are a few sample practice questions to give you an idea of what to expect on a full practice test:
If you're entering the highway from a private road or driveway, you must:
a) Yield to cars on your left.
b) Yield to cars on your right.
c) Yield to every approaching car.
d) Flash your headlights and proceed without yielding.
In West Virginia, passing is prohibited:
a) If the road is curved.
b) Within 100 feet of an intersection.
c) When there is a solid yellow line in your lane.
d) All of the above.
When does the WV DMV require a state vehicle inspection?
a) If your vehicle is more than 10 years old.
b) Every 2 years.
c) Every 12 months.
d) Only when you purchase a brand new vehicle.
How to Pass the West Virginia DMV Written Exam
There are 25 questions on the WV written exam. To pass, you must answer 19 questions correctly. On the written test, you'll find questions based on information from the Driver Handbook, including:
- General driving knowledge.
- Traffic rules and regulations.
- Road signs and pavement markings.
After you pass an online DMV practice test and you're ready to take the written exam, take a trip to your local West Virginia DMV office. For specific instructions on what you need to apply for a WV learner's permit or driver's license, go to:
- Applying for an Adult Driver's License
- Applying for a Driver's License (Teens)
- Applying for a West Virginia CDL
- WV Motorcycle Licenses
NOTE: If you're reading impaired and failed the written test at least 2 times, the West Virginia DMV can offer it in an audio version.