Pay Traffic Ticket in West Virginia
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Pleading Guilty to Your WV Ticket
Paying a WV traffic ticket outright is an admission of guilt; basically, you're entering a “guilty" plea.
When you plead “guilty," expect the following:
- Some courts offer convenient payment options such as online, by mail, or by phone.
- Most courts accept payments in person.
- See How to Pay Your WV Traffic Ticket below.
- The West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will add points to your driving record.
- The DMV will suspend your driver's license after you accumulate a certain number of points.
- You might face driver's license suspension if:
- You accumulate a certain number of driving record points.
- Your violation is one that leads directly to license suspension.
- Some offenses are serious enough that's you'll have additional fines and penalties.
- Your car insurance company might quote you with higher auto insurance rates when it's time to renew your policy.
If you decide to plead “guilty" and pay your fine outright, make sure you pay it by the deadline on your citation or you face additional penalties.
CDL Drivers & WV Tickets
West Virginia commercial drivers holders face some different, and often more serious, penalties than other drivers; for example, if you're a CDL driver who pleads “guilty" or is found guilty in court:
- You must notify the WV DMV within 30 days of receiving the conviction if you received it in another state or jurisdiction. You must also notify your employer with 30 days of a conviction for any other than parking.
- You might face harsher penalties.
- Some violations lead directly to temporary suspension or permanent revocation of a CDL.
For more information, refer to the WV Commercial Driver's License Manual.
How to Pay Your WV Traffic Ticket
You will pay the traffic court listed on your citation. Payment options, which vary by court, will be explained on your traffic ticket.
Depending on the presiding court, payment options might include:
- By mail.
- By phone.
- In person.
- You'll need information from your traffic ticket to pay your fine.
- If you've misplaced yours, jump over to our page on Lost Traffic Ticket in West Virginia to learn how to find the information.
- You must pay by the deadline printed on your citation.
- If you cannot pay the full traffic ticket fine amount, inquire about a payment plan. Call the court listed on your citation for information on how to pursue this option.
Defensive Driving Course Options
After receiving a traffic ticket:
- The court might give you the option to complete a defensive driving course for ticket dismissal.
- The court might require you to complete a court to satisfy your traffic ticket.
- You might be able to complete a course to lower your driving record points.
Learn more at Defensive Driving in West Virginia.
Update Your Car Insurance Rates
Your auto insurance provider will probably increase your rates following your WV traffic ticket. While each company has its own policies, it's common for providers to raise rates after a driver gets a traffic violation conviction.
Talk to your provider, and if your conviction means an increase in rates, start comparing insurance quotes online for more affordable coverage.
Check Your Driving Record
Always check your driving record after a traffic ticket plea or verdict—whether it's “guilty" or “not guilty." Because your driving record affects your driving privileges, it's important to make sure the information is accurate.
Look to see that:
- Your driving record shows ONLY GUILTY traffic offenses.
- This applies whether you pled “guilty" or were found “guilty" in court.
- Your driving privileges haven't been suspended.
Learn how to check your driving record and apply for corrections.