Drivers in the Military in West Virginia

West Virginia is proud of its armed forces members and recognizes that expiration dates are nowhere on your priority list when the time comes to answer the call of duty. Therefore, the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers renewal extensions and special orders for drivers in the military.

Active Duty License Renewal

If you're a West Virginia driver in the military and temporarily stationed out of state when your license is due for renewal, the DMV will renew your license upon request. However, renewal request isn't necessary―drivers in the military are allowed to carry their expired licenses for up to 6 months from their date of honorable discharge.

Active Duty Vehicle Registration Renewal

In order to renew your registration while you're stationed out of state, you must contact the DMV with a copy of your old registration card or your renewal notification, a copy of your military identification card, a copy of your proof of insurance, and the $51.50 fee for your license plate. Note that the new plate will be sent to the address the DMV has on record.

For further information or to request an extension on registration, contact the DMV at:

Inactive Duty Renewal

If you're honorably separated from active duty, the DMV will extend the expiration of your driver's license for 6 months from the separation date.

Military License Plates

If you're a veteran or a surviving spouse, you might be interested in ordering a special veteran or surviving spouse license plate. See our License Plates section for ordering and availability details.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review