DUI Attorneys in West Virginia
Driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs or alcohol (also known as a DWI) in West Virginia comes with harsh penalties such as a suspended driver's license and even jail time. Hiring a DUI attorney can help you to reduce your charges and minimize the costs that come with committing a DUI.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
This page will help you hire a DUI attorney in West Virginia.
Hiring a DUI attorney in WV
Don't rush too much when hiring a DUI attorney. You want to do your research to make sure you've picked the most suitable lawyer for your situation and case. Follow these tips to help you make your decision:
- Find an attorney that specializes in DUI cases.
- Find one that has handled a case similar to yours, if possible.
- Make sure your DUI attorney knows West Virginia laws thoroughly and has experience navigating local court systems.
- Check references and testimonials. Make sure you've picked a reputable DUI attorney.
- Ask about fees and payment deadlines.
- Make sure there aren't any hidden fees you won't be able to afford.
West Virginia DUI attorneys will be able to represent you for any alcohol-related offense you commit, such as:
- Driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) over the legal limit:
- 0.08% or more, if you have a regular WV driver's license.
- 0.02% or higher, if you're younger than 21 years old.
- Refusing to submit to a BAC test.
How a DUI Attorney Can Help
One of the most important things a DUI attorney can do for you is plea bargain for a reduced charge. A good DUI attorney can also:
- Make sure you've satisfied all court requirements so you don't incur additional penalties.
- Help you determine your best plea option.
- Represent you in WV court.
- Explain your entire case to you and how you should proceed in court.
A DUI attorney will know how the West Virginia court systems work and how to negotiate your charge with the judge. Depending on your charge, a DUI attorney could end up saving you money in the long term.
Penalties for a West Virginia DUI
The penalties you'll receive after being found guilty of a DUI or DWI in West Virginia will vary depending on the severity of your offense and your:
- Type of driver's license you have (i.e., standard, commercial driver's license, learner's permit).
- Driving record.
Common penalties faced for a DUI in WV include:
- A WV driver's license suspension or revocation.
- You will need to pay additional fees to have your driver's license reinstated.
- Jail time.
- Community service.
- Treatment for alcohol abuse.
- Use of an ignition interlock device.
- Heavy fines.
- Court costs.
A DUI attorney can explain which penalties you face and possibly have them reduced.
More information about penalties and costs can be found on our West Virginia DUI & DWI page.