Disability Plates and Placards in West Virginia

Disability Placards & License Plates in West Virginia

If you are a West Virginia resident with a disability, you may be eligible for a disability parking placard or license plate.

Placards and plates are issued by the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for both temporary and permanent disabilities.

Types of Disabled Placards & Plates

The West Virginia DMV offers several types of disability parking permits:

  • Permanent placards.
  • Temporary placards.
  • License plates, including disabled veteran plates.

You can apply for a placard or license plate IF you:

  • Have a qualifying disability.
  • Regularly provide transportation to someone with a qualifying disability.

Applications for disabled parking usually require certification by a medical professional.

NOTE: If you are visiting West Virginia from another state, you can use the handicap placard or plate issued by your home state.

Handicap Parking Rules

Any disabled placard or plate allows you to use designated parking spaces for the mobility impaired.

It is illegal to loan your placard to anyone, regardless of their own impairment.

To correctly use your placard for disabled parking:

  • Hang it from the rearview mirror when parked.
    • Place it on the dashboard if you do not have a rearview mirror.
  • Remove it from the mirror when driving.

Apply for Disabled Parking in West Virginia

You can apply for a disability placard or license plate:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

NOTE: If your disability is a result of your service in the military, see “Disabled Veteran License Plates" below.

You must submit:

  • A completed Parking Application for a Mobility Impaired Person (Form DMV-41-TR).
    • You will complete Section 1, including a signature.
    • Section 2 must be completed by a:
      • Licensed physician (M.D. or optometrist).
      • Physician's assistant.
      • Chiropractor.
      • Advanced nurse practitioner.
  • Payment for the $10.50 transfer fee (for license plates only).

Submit your application in person at a WV DMV office, or by mail to:

Division of Motor Vehicles
Mobility Impaired Placards and Plates
P.O. Box 17010
Charleston, WV 25317

Disabled Veteran License Plates

If you are a military veteran with a verified service-related disability, you can apply for a disabled veteran (DV) license plate.

To apply, you will need:

  • A completed Application for a Disabled Veteran License Plate (Form DMV-48H).
    • The West Virginia Department of Veterans Assistance must provide medical certification on the application form.
  • Payment for fees. See the application form for the correct fee, which is based on when you apply.

Submit your application to the West Virginia DMV by mail or in person.

Renew WV Disability Placards & Plates

All handicap placards and license plates in West Virginia will expire after a given time period:

  • A permanent disabled placard is valid for up to 2 years.
  • A temporary placard can be issued for up to 6 months.
  • License plates expire with your vehicle registration.

Temporary placards CANNOT be renewed. If your temporary disability placard expires and you still need it:

  • You must reapply for the placard (see “Apply for Disabled Parking in West Virginia" above).
  • Your doctor will need to re-certify your disability.

Permanent disability placards must be renewed. The West Virginia DMV will mail you a renewal notice and form before your placard expires. You will simply need to complete the renewal form and mail it back to the DMV.

Your doctor DOES NOT need to re-certify your disability.

NOTE: If your address changes before your placard expires, be sure to change your address with the West Virginia DMV so you receive your renewal notice.

Disability license plates are renewed by renewing your vehicle registration.

Replace a Disabled Plate or Placard

If your WV handicap placard is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can apply for a replacement by mail or in person.

To request a replacement you'll need:

  • A completed Parking Application for a Mobility Impaired Person (Form DMV-41-TR).
  • Payment for the replacement fee.

NOTE: You DO NOT need medical certification for replacement placards.

Submit the form either in person at your local WV DMV office or by mail to the address specified on the application form.

See our WV lost registration page for information about replacing a lost, stolen, or damaged license plate.


Parking Application for a Mobility Impaired Person
Apply for Mobility Impaired license plates or placards with the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles. Form must be completed by a doctor.
Application for a Disabled Veteran License Plate
Apply for WV Disabled American Veteran license plates with the DMV.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review