Name Change in West Virginia

Summary: How to Change Your Name in West Virginia

To change your name on your WV driver’s license/ID card, car registration, and title certificate, you'll need to visit your local DMV office in person. You'll need to provide proof of your name change, payment for duplicate documents, and other required documents.

Continue reading this page to learn more about how to change your name with the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Change Your Name with the SSA

Before you update your name on your driver's license and vehicle documents, you should update the Social Security Administration (SSA) first. In some states, the DMV will check your new name with SSA records, so if they don't match they may not accept your application.

To change your name with the SSA and receive a new Social Security card, you'll need:

  • Proof of your:
    • Identity (e.g. WV driver's license, ID card, U.S. passport).
    • Lawful presence in the U.S. (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, U.S. citizenship certificate, work permit and I-94).
    • Name change (e.g. court order, marriage certificate, divorce decree).
  • A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).

NOTE: See the SSA website for a list of required documents for a corrected Social Security card. Your requirements will differ depending on whether you are a U.S. citizenship or not.

Submit all of the documents above to the Social Security Administration either by mail or in person.

You should receive your updated Social Security card in the mail within 14 business days after your application is processed.

WV Driver's License/ID Card Name Change

To change your name on your West Virginia driver's license or ID card, you'll need to visit your local WV DMV office in person. You will need to submit:

  • Proof of your name change, such as your:
    • Certified marriage certificate.
    • Court order.
    • Certified divorce decree.
  • Proof of your identity, such as your:
    • U.S. birth certificate.
    • Valid U.S. passport.
    • Permanent resident card.
  • 2 documents proving your address (if it has changed), such as your:
    • Utility bill.
    • WV voter registration card.
    • Rental agreement.
  • Proof of your Social Security number (for a REAL ID card), such as your:
    • Social Security card.
    • Pay stub.
    • 1099 form.
  • A completed Application for a Driver’s License or Photo ID Card (Form DMV-DS-23P).
  • Payment for the required fee.

You will be given a temporary driver's license before you leave the DMV office. You will receive your WV driver's license/ID card in the mail within 15 business days.

Car Registration & Title Name Change

While you're at the WV DMV office changing your name on your driver's license, you may be able to update your car registration and title documents at the same time.

Before your visit, contact the West Virginia DMV to check what you'll need to bring with you. You'll likely need:

  • Proof of your name change (e.g. court order, divorce decree, marriage certificate).
  • Your current WV driver's license or other proof of your identity.
  • Your current certificate of title.
  • Your current registration document.
  • Payment for duplicate document fees.

For more information about how to apply for replacement documents, visit our following pages:

Fees to Change Your Name in WV

For updated documents showing your new name, you'll need to pay the following DMV fees:

  • Driver's license: $7.50.
    • A REAL ID card will cost an additional $10.
  • Registration card: $10.
  • Certificate of title: $15.

Contact the West Virginia DMV directly to confirm the fees you'll need to pay and what methods of payment they accept.

Change Your West Virginia Address

If you change your address in West Virginia, you must notify the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 20 days of your move.

You will need to submit your change of address in writing and provide documents to prove your new residence.

See our Change of Address in West Virginia page for instructions.


Application for a Drivers License or Photo ID Card
West Virginia DMV application for an original, duplicate, OR renewed learner's permit, driver's license, motorcycle license, OR state identification card.
Application for a Social Security Card
Apply for a new, corrected, OR duplicate Social Security card.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review