Change of Address in West Virginia

SUMMARY: How to Change Your Address in West Virginia

To change your address on your DMV records, you'll need to submit the new address by mail, at a DMV kiosk, or online. You will be issued a new license or identification card showing your new address. This requires you to apply for duplicates or renew your license or ID card, and pay a fee.

This page will help you change your address with the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Change Your Address with the WV DMV

Within 20 days of moving, you must notify the West Virginia DMV of your new address or risk receiving a fine or even jail time. This can be done by mail, at a DMV kiosk, or online.

You will need:

  • A completed Change of Address Form (Form DMV-98-TRB) (if changing your address by mail).
  • A copy of your WV driver's license/ID card.
  • 2 documents showing your address change.
  • Payment:
    • Driver's license: $7.50 (plus $10 for a REAL ID license.)
    • Identifications card: $5 (plus $10 for a REAL ID identification card).

If you are apply for a change of address online, follow the prompts on the online system to submit your application and your documents.

Send the above documents to the address specified on the form if you are changing your address by mail.

Both your driver's license/ID card and motor vehicle records will be updated.

NOTE: Submitting your change of address request will update your WV DMV records only. If you would like replacement documents showing your new address, you will need to apply for duplicates (continue reading below).

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Driver's License/ID Card Address Change

Once you've changed your address on your West Virginia DMV records, you will receive a duplicate driver's license or ID card that has your new address printed on it.

You will need to visit your local WV DMV office and pay the required fee. For more information, please visit our Replacing a License page.

NOTE: If you don't have your current WV driver's license or ID card, you may need to show proof of your identity and WV residence.

Vehicle Registration & Title Address Change

If you'd like an updated registration card or certificate of title that shows your new address, you can apply for replacements.

You will need to pay the following fees:

  • Registration card: $10.
  • Title certificate: $15.

Complete instructions can be found on our relevant pages:

New West Virginia Residents

If you've just moved to West Virginia from another state and have a valid out-of-state driver's license, you may be able to easily transfer it without having to pass the driving and written tests.

You will need to:

  • Pass the vision exam.
  • Complete an alcohol awareness course.
  • Surrender your out-of-state driver's license.
  • Pay the required fee.

See our Applying for a New License in West Virginia page for transfer instructions.

If you're bringing your car from out of state, you'll need to have it registered with the WV DMV. Our Car Registration page has all the information you need to complete this task.

Change Your Name in WV

Did you recently get married or divorced? If you've changed your name for any reason, you'll need to update the West Virginia DMV and obtain updated documents showing your new name.

You'll need to visit your local WV DMV office and show proof of your name change, such as your:

  • Court order.
  • Marriage certificate.
  • Divorce decree.

Please see our Changing your Name in West Virginia page for more information.


Change of Address
Notify the WV Division of Motor Vehicles of an address change so your driver and vehicle records can be updated accordingly.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review