Paperwork When Selling a Car in West Virginia
Custom West Virginia Bill of Sale for $4.99
Simplifing the sale of a vehicle between private parties. Just enter the info, then download and print. It's that easy!
- State specific for your transaction
- Quick auto-fill feature
- Just fill out, print, and sign
Paperwork Required to Sell a Car in West Virginia
It will take a lot more than just an ad and a handshake to sell your car in West Virginia, both legally and practically. Before you even start advertising, be sure to read our guide for a promising process.
This page will give you all the paperwork you need to provide the buyer, as required by the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Selling a Vehicle in West Virginia
The best advice for you, as a seller, is to think like a buyer. What do you expect out of your prospective vehicle? How much are you willing to pay for your standards? How will you be sure you're getting a good deal? You'll need to ask yourself these questions because you'll be expected to answer them once you put your car on the market.
You'll also need to answer technical questions about the kinds of documents you need. Most transactions will only need a car certificate of title with a completed title assignment, but that's not always the case. Our detailed Guide to Selling Your Car is an excellent resource for learning how to ask the right questions and, more importantly, answering them too.
Required Documents in West Virginia
No matter how hard you work cleaning, advertising, and researching your car, you won't even come close to selling a car in West Virginia if you don't have all the paperwork. Some documents you'll need for the big day include the following.
- Car title: State and federal law requires that all vehicles when driven or moved on a highway must be properly titled and registered. When selling a car, you must complete a title transfer by filling out the back of the car title—also called the title assignment. This will reassign the title from you to the buyer.
- Bill of sale: Although a bill of sale is not required in every case of selling a car in West Virginia, it is highly recommend. A Bill of Sale for a Motor Vehicle, Trailer, or Boat (Form DMV-7-TR) establishes the sale price, includes odometer disclosure information, and features the contact information and signatures of the buyer and seller.
- For more information, visit our Bill of Sale page.
- Copy of your WV driver's license: The West Virginia DMV requires all bill of sale forms to be accompanied by a copy of the driver's licenses of both the buyer and the seller.
Duplicate West Virginia Title
Assuming the vehicle has never had a lien, a lost or stolen car title can be recovered by completing an Affidavit of Duplicate Title for a Vehicle or Watercraft (Form DMV-4-TR). Include with your completed application a copy of your WV driver's license, registration card (if available), and payment for the $15 title fee.
All documents must be mailed in to the Receiving and Processing department of DMV's West Virginia chapter. You can find the address on the form itself.
For more information, visit our Replacing a Lost Title in West Virginia page.
WV Vehicle History Reports
Most informed buyers will request a vehicle history report before going through with the purchase, so you'll want to make sure you don't get caught off guard. Getting a vehicle history report will ensure that you have a thorough understanding of your vehicle, while also giving you time to make a few upgrades to have it in the most sellable condition.
For more information about what you can gain from a vehicle history report and how to obtain one, visit our Vehicle History Reports page for tips and resources.
Forms for Easy Download
Affidavit of Duplicate Title for a Vehicle or Watercraft (Form DMV-4-TR)
Bill of Sale for a Motor Vehicle, Trailer, or Boat (Form DMV-7-TR)
Optional helpful links:
Affidavit of Duplicate Title for a Vehicle or Watercraft
Request a replacement boat OR vehicle title from the WV Division of Motor Vehicles.
|Download Open the form|
Bill of Sale
Form used as a proof of sale when transferring ownership of a vehicle in WV.
|Download Open the form|