Applying for a New CDL in West Virginia

Does the open road call your name? Would you like to make money just for cruising down it? You can, if you get your West Virginia commercial driver's license (CDL).

The process includes not only following the licensing rules overseen by the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), but also the national regulations set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).


Per new federal entry-level driver training requirements effective February 7, 2022, the WV Division of Motor Vehicles now mandates new CDL applicants complete an entry-level driver training course through an authorized provider. You’ll need to complete this training prior to applying for your first commercial driver’s license, upgrading your existing CDL class, or applying for a HAZMAT, school bus, or passenger endorsement.

WV CDL Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for a West Virginia commercial driver's license, you'll need to:

  • Meet the appropriate age requirements—at least:
    • 18 years old to drive within WV only—called intrastate driving.
    • 21 years old to operate motor vehicles outside of West Virginia.
  • Have at least 1 year of experience driving; 1 year of holding a Class E or D license if you are 18 years old.
  • Be a West Virginia resident.

You'll also need to show the WV DMV proof of your:

  • Identity.
  • Social Security number (SSN).
  • West Virginia residency.
  • Legal status in the United States.

Check out the West Virginia CDL manual or the DMV's Driver's License and ID Cards page for examples of acceptable documents.

WV Commercial Learner's Permit

Just like getting a permit before your regular driver's license, your journey to your CDL starts with getting a permit—your commercial learner's permit (CLP).

The process can be a bit involved, so you may want to take a CDL training course to help ensure you're as successful as possible, although this step is not required by either the FMCSA or the WV Division of Motor Vehicles.

When you're ready to begin, you'll need to gather:

You can submit the above information to the West Virginia DMV either:

  • In person, at the Driver Services window located in Kanawha City:
    • 5707 MacCorkle Ave. SE
    • Charleston, WV 25304
  • By mail to:
    • DMV
    • P.O. Box 17010
    • Charleston, WV 25317

Once the DMV processes your information, you'll receive a letter with the testing site where you'll need to go to take all of the written exams for the class of CDL you're applying for, plus for any endorsements you hope to add to your license. At this point, you'll also have to submit to a driving record check.

When all of the above is finished, you'll officially be issued your commercial learner's permit—congratulations!

Your CLP will be valid for 1 year, and it cannot be renewed.

CLP Restrictions in West Virginia

While earning a CLP is a big step toward getting a CDL, there are a few different rules that you'll have to follow while practicing with it.

You must:

  • Hold your commercial learner's permit for at least 14 days before taking your skills exam.
  • Practice while driving on public roads only.
  • Be accompanied by a full CDL holder licensed to operate the same type of vehicle, according to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration rules.

Your West Virginia commercial learner's permit will be valid for 1 year, and you cannot be renewed.

Getting Your West Virginia CDL

To turn that CLP into a West Virginia commercial driver's license, there's only one step left: the skills exam.

All skills exams in West Virginia are conducted by third-party testers. To find a site where you can take the test near you, check out the list of all WV third-party testers in the state's commercial driver license manual.

Before you schedule an appointment, keep in mind that you'll need to:

  • Wait at least 14 days after receiving your CLP.
  • Arrange to take the test in the same type of vehicle you want to drive with your CDL.

Don't forget to bring your:

The test itself consists of several parts, including the:

  • Pre-trip inspection.
  • Basic vehicle control.
  • On-road test.

Once you've aced each section, you'll be given paperwork proving you passed. Bring it to your local Division of Motor Vehicles office, where you'll be charged a CDL fee, then officially issued your own commercial driver's license!

CDL Fees in West Virginia

The West Virginia DMV charges the following fees for commercial driver's licenses and related services:

  • CDL testing fee (to earn your CLP): $25.
  • Endorsements: $10 each.
  • Skills test: $100.

You'll also be charged a fee for your commercial driver's license, which depends on:

  • Your “calculated age."
  • How many years the license will be valid.

The WV CDL Manual explains how to determine your calculated age and the associated fees.

CDL Medical Certification

Before you can get your commercial learner's permit, you'll have to be considered physically fit for the job. This involves a process where you self-certify the type of driving you'll be doing (interstate vs. intrastate) and determine whether you are excepted or non-excepted from the medical requirements necessary for most CDL drivers.

To do so, you'll need to complete a:

Again, it's important to have all of your medical paperwork filled out before you begin the CDL application process.

For more information about how to self-certify and the medical program in general, you can check out the FMCSA's guide to CDL medical requirements.

Military CDL Test Waivers in West Virginia

The FMCSA and WV Division of Motor Vehicles have developed a program to help some service members receive their commercial driver license more easily, by waiving the skills test.*

To qualify, you'll need to:

  • Be currently enlisted OR within 6 months of your honorable discharge.
  • Have experience driving commercial vehicles or the military equivalent.

To apply, you'll need to:

Bring the above paperwork with you to the DMV when you apply for your commercial learner's permit. For questions and further details, call the DMV's CDL office at (304) 926-3801.

* NOTE: Eligible applicants will still need to pass all written exams and pay all applicable fees.


Application for Military Skills Test Waiver
Request a CDL skills test waiver if you recently drove a commercial vehicle in the military. Must be signed by your commanding officer.
Commercial Driver Licensee Medical Self-Certification Affidavit
Commercial driver's license applicants use this form to self-certify as an excepted OR non-excepted interstate OR intrastate driver.
Application for Commercial Drivers License and/or Endorsements
Apply for an original, transferred, renewed, upgraded, OR duplicate WV commercial driver's license. Can also be used to apply for a commercial instruction permit.
Medical Examiners Certificate
Commercial drivers with certain classes of CDL must complete and carry this medical certificate. Certificate must be completed by a doctor.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review