Other Licenses & Endorsements in Wisconsin

School Bus Requirements

You must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Have an "S" endorsement on your Wisconsin driver's license.
  • Own a Wisconsin driver's license that pertains to the class you're applying for.
  • Have no foot or hand restrictions that would prevent you from operating any gears or brakes.
  • Meet required physical/medical standards.
  • Have no disqualifications detailed on this list.
  • Pass a background check.
  • Submit to fingerprinting for a criminal background check, if you resided in another state within the last 2 years.

Shuttle Van Requirements

School Shuttle Van, or Alternative Vehicle

The Department of Transportation (WisDOT) refers to any school van that carries 9 passengers or fewer, and that's not painted school bus yellow, as an "alternative vehicle."

To operate an alternative vehicle, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Own either a valid Wisconsin driver's license or a valid license and endorsement from another jurisdiction pertaining to the appropriate class of vehicle.
  • Have no disqualifications detailed on this list.

Hotel Shuttle Van

There are no state requirements to operate a hotel shuttle van. Generally, all that's required is a regular driver's license, and a relatively clean record. Requirements, of course, may vary with each hotel.

Taxi License Requirements

There is no uniform statewide taxi driver license requirement list. Licensing is handled by each individual municipality. For requirements, contact your local city clerk.

Chauffeur License Requirements

Wisconsin no longer requires a specific chauffeur license. As long as you're driving a vehicle that carries fewer than 16 passengers (including the driver), you do not need a special license. If, however the vehicle you're operating carries more than 16 passengers or weighs more than 26,000 lbs., a commercial driver license is required.

Sport Vehicles


To operate a snowmobile, you must be at least 12 years old to ride without a parent or guardian with you. Operators younger than 12 years old can snowmobile with a parent or guardian. No license is required, but you must take a safety class if you were born after January 1,1985.

These rules don't apply if you're snowmobiling on family-owned land.

NOTE: You must obtain a Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Customer ID Number before completing a safety class. Apply by visiting any DNR office or by calling (888) 936-7463.


No license is needed for an ATV. Once you turn 12 years old (or if you're older than that and were born on or after January 1, 1988) you must take an ATV safety class to ride on public land.

The Department of Natural Resources provides a guide to ATV Regulations for more information.

NOTE: You must obtain a DNR Customer ID Number before completing a safety class. Apply by visiting any DNR office or by calling (888) 936-7463.

For more information on sport vehicles, check our our Other Types of Vehicles article.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review