Replacing a Lost Registration in Wisconsin

On This Page

Need to replace a damaged or missing registration card, sticker, or license plate?

Replace Your WI Registration

You can apply for a duplicate Wisconsin registration certificate:

  • Online.
  • By mail.
  • In person.


To replace your registration online, visit the Wisconsin DMV's Duplicate Certificate of Registration portal. Follow the series of questions, and have payment ready for the $2 application fee and an online convenience fee.

You'll need to print your duplicate registration document, so make sure you have a working printer ready.

By Mail

To request a duplicate WI registration by mail:

In Person

If you prefer to apply for a duplicate registration in person, visit your local Wisconsin DMV office. You can complete the application beforehand, or request one when you get there. Be prepared with payment for the $2 fee.

Duplicate Registration Sticker

To apply for a duplicate sticker, either call (608) 264-7447, or use the online e-mail inquiry service. Provide the following information:

  • Your full name, including the middle initial.
  • Your full mailing address (city, state, zip).
  • Your license plate number.
  • The type of sticker you're requesting.
  • Your vehicle's make, year, and VIN.
  • An e-mail address and phone number (with area code).

In most cases, your replacement sticker will be sent within 1 business day.

Replacement License Plates

To replace your WI license plates, you may either:

Replacement plate fees vary depending on your plate. Specific fee information is listed on the form.

You can bring your application and payment to your local DMV office, or you can send your completed form and a check or money order made out to "Registration Fee Trust") to:

  • Department of Transportation
  • P.O. Box 7949
  • Madison, WI 53707

NOTE: If you're replacing stolen personalized plates, the contact address is different; see "Personalized Plates" below.

Personalized Plates

If you've reported your plates as being stolen, you'll need to mail your application and payment to:

  • Department of Transportation
  • Special Plates Unit
  • P.O. Box 7911
  • Madison, WI 53707

Additional Information

Questions about any of this? Contact the state at (608) 264-7447.


MV2026 Duplicate Certificate of Registration Application

Request a duplicate Wisconsin registration certificate from the DMV.

Download Open the form
MV2118 Replacement License Plate Information and Application

Request replacement license plates from the Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles.

Download Open the form

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG