Replacing a Lost CDL in Wisconsin

With the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's (WisDOT) Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you can apply for a duplicate commercial drivers license in person, by mail, or online (if applicable). Also, in addition to reporting your lost CDL to law enforcement, you can have a notation placed on your driving record for further protection of your identity and driving privileges.

Because you cant legally operate a commercial truck or any other commercial vehicle without a valid, properly endorsed CDL on you, wait until you receive your replacement before you get back behind the wheel.

Ways to Apply for a Duplicate CDL in WI

In Person

Go to your local customer service center and:

Once you meet all qualifications, the WI DMV representative will take it from there and let you know when youll receive your permanent replacement CDL.

By Mail

Generally, applying by mail is reserved for commercial drivers who are currently out of state; if you’re in state and want to apply by mail, contact the DMV for details.

Requirements to apply for a duplicate CDL by mail include the following:

  • You must be a U.S. citizen.
    • Non-U.S. citizens must apply in person (see above) and provide legal status documents.
  • The DMV must have your photograph on file.
  • The DMV must have your Social Security number on file.
  • Your last license was not issued as “Valid Without Photo.”

If you meet all eligibility requirements:

  • Complete the Wisconsin Driver License Application (Form MV3001).
    • Making sure to record your temporary out-of-state address.
  • Have a check or money order for the $14 fee made payable to “Registration Fee Trust.”

Depending on how quickly you need your replacement CDL, mail the application and fee using the applicable address:

Regular First Class Delivery

Driver Eligibility Unit
P.O. Box 7995
Madison, WI 53707

Overnight/Priority Delivery

Driver Eligibility Unit
4822 Madison Yards Way, Room 225
Madison, WI 53705


The WI DMV provides a list of eligibility requirements for applying online. Along with the general requirements, as a commercial driver, you must also:

  • Have a valid Federal Medical Card.
  • NOT have had to surrender your CDL because you didn’t provide a Federal Medical Card.
  • Not be applying for a duplicate commercial learner permit (CLP).

If you meet the requirements, begin the online application.

Note that:

  • You must provide some basic information such as your license number, your date of birth, the last 4 digits of your Social Security number, and your zip code.
    • If you don’t know your license number, you must provide your full Social Security number.
  • You must pay with a major credit/debit card and will be charged a convenience fee.

Once you complete the online application, you’ll receive a receipt that includes your photo. Print this receipt and use it as temporary photo ID an license until your permanent replacement CDL arrives by mail. Contact the Driver Eligibility Unit at (608) 264-7447 if you don’t have a printer and would like a receipt mailed to you.

Report Lost CDL to the WI DMV

The WI DMV recommends immediately reporting your stolen or lost CDL to law enforcement—especially if you have reason to believe your identity has been stolen. The Wisconsin

Consumer Protection Bureau provides additional steps to take should you become a victim of identity fraud.

Additionally, you can contact the DMV Qualifications and Issuance Section to add a notation to your driving record that will require the DMV and law enforcement officers to take extra steps to verify your identification documents whenever you do business with either. 


Driver License Application
DMV application for any class of an original, renewed, OR replacement Wisconsin driver's license OR instruction permit.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review