Other Vehicle Registrations in Wisconsin

SUMMARY: How to Register a Special Vehicle Type in Wisconsin

Cars and trucks aren't the only vehicles requiring registration in Wisconsin. You must register ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles, and other special vehicle types with the DMV or DNR. ATVs and UTVs require a separate application form, as do snowmobiles. Trailers, custom-built cars, and RVs are registered similarly to regular vehicles in the state. Find your vehicle below for specifics.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) are responsible for registering other vehicle types in the state, including motorhomes, ATVs, snowmobiles, trailers, and more.


Snowmobiles may be registered for public or private use. A public registration means the user may ride on any public area that allows snowmobiling, and on private property with the landowner's permission. These registrations cost $30 and last 3 years, from July 1st until June 30th.

Private registrations are free, but you may only ride on property that you or an immediate family member owns or leases.

Visitors to Wisconsin may ride their snowmobile on state land, as long as the vehicle hasn't been inside the state for more than 30 days in a row. They still need proof that their snowmobiles are currently registered in their home state. If not, or if the time limit is exceeded, a Wisconsin registration is needed.

When buying a snowmobile from a Wisconsin dealer, you'll receive a validation form after paying the registration fee. Use the validation as proof of registration until your registration certificate and decals arrive in the mail.

When buying from a private seller or out-of-state dealer, you must complete a Snowmobile Registration Application (Form 9400-210) and take it to a validation station. Again, use the validation as proof of registration until you receive your registration decals.

NOTE: For questions or additional details, call the DNR at (888) 936-7463.

All-Terrain and Utility Terrain Vehicles

ATVs and UTVs in Wisconsin may be registered for public, private, or agricultural use, or a combination of the three.

Public registrations:

  • Allow the user to operate an ATV/UTV on public areas.
    • This includes frozen streams and lakes.
  • Allow users to ride on private land with the owner's permission.
  • Are valid for a maximum of 2 years, from April 1st until March 31st
  • Cost $30.

Private and agricultural registrations allow the holder to ride an ATV on private property only, with the consent on the land owner, for $15.

When buying an ATV or UTV from a Wisconsin dealer, you'll be asked to complete a All-Terrain (ATV) or Utility Terrain (UTV) Vehicle Registration Application (Form 9400-376). Use the validated copy of the application to legally operate your ATV until your registration certificate and stickers come in the mail.

When buying from a private seller or a dealer outside the state, you'll need to complete application and have it processed at a validation center. Use the validation receipt to legally operate your vehicle until you receive your registration certificate and stickers in the mail.

You may also mail the application to the address listed on the form.

Visitors to Wisconsin need to obtain a trail pass for $35 from the DNR to operate their ATVs in the state, even if the vehicle is registered in their home state. If your ATV or UTV isn't registered in your home state, you'll also need to obtain a Wisconsin registration by completing a All-Terrain (ATV) or Utility Terrain (UTV) Vehicle Registration Application (Form 9400-376) and paying the appropriate fees.

Contact the DNR by calling (888) 936-7463 for additional questions.


If the combined weight of your trailer and ATV exceeds 3,000 lbs., you must title it by sending:

  • The original Certificate of Title or Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO). Make sure it's signed by the dealer or previous owner.
  • A completed Wisconsin Title and License Plate Application (Form MV1).
  • License plate fees, if applicable (plates stay with the trailer).
  • Title fee based on weight.
  • Sales tax.
  • Local sales tax, if applicable.
  • Check or money order made out to Registration Fee Trust.

Mail to the address on the form.

Motorhomes and RVs in Wisconsin

If you have a recreational vehicle (RV) or motorhome in Wisconsin, follow the instructions on our guide to Registering a Car in Wisconsin to have it registered properly in the state.

Custom-Built Cars

If you have a custom-built car that doesn't have a title certificate, you'll need to apply for one first. Visit your local Wisconsin DMV office and provide:

  • Proof you own all major components of the vehicle, such as bills of sale, receipts, or invoices.
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN), if applicable.
  • A State Patrol inspection verification.
  • The certificate of title for the body of the vehicle, signed over to you (if applicable).
  • Payment for the titling fee.

Contact the Wisconsin DMV before your visit to make sure there aren't any additional documents required and for fee information.

Once you have a certificate of title for your custom vehicle, you can have it registered following the steps listed on our Wisconsin Car Registration page.

WI Mopeds and Scooters

Mopeds must be registered in Wisconsin just as you'd register a car. A moped is a vehicle with:

  • An integrated motor (not an add-on).
  • An engine size that is:
    • Up to 50 CC with an automatic transmission.
    • Up to 130 CC if it also has pedals that power it like a bicycle's pedals.

A scooter CANNOT be registered because it cannot be operated on public roads. Vehicles classed as scooters generally have small wheels and are operated while standing.

For more information about these types of vehicles, see our scooters and mopeds page.


Title/License Plate Application
DMV application for an original Wisconsin title AND/OR registration.
All Terrain or Utility Terrain Vehicle Registration Application
Request an original, replacement, OR renewed registration for your ATV OR UTV with the WI Department of Natural Resources.
Snowmobile Application
Department of Natural Resources application for an original, renewal, OR duplicate Wisconsin snowmobile registration.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review