Drivers in the Military in Wisconsin

If you are active duty military, and are stationed outside of Wisconsin, your driver's license is one less thing for you to have to concern yourself about.

Wisconsin Driver's License

As long as you are active duty military stationed outside of Wisconsin and have a Wisconsin driver's license, the license will not expire. You have the choice of either conducting your driver's license renewal through the mail or simply having the Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) put a note on your driving record that your license will not expire as long as you are active duty stationed outside the state.

Renew By Mail

Here's what you'll need to do in order to renew by mail:

  • Fill out the Wisconsin Driver License (DL) Application (Form MV3001) which is available online using the free Adobe Reader.
  • Have a doctor sign a Certificate of Vision Exam (Form MV3030V).
  • Include a check or money order payable to "Registration Fee Trust" for:
    • $34 to renew for 8 years.
    • An additional $5 late fee if you are renewing after the expiration date.
  • Send all of the application documents and payment to:
  • Department of Transportation
  • Division of Motor Vehicles
  • Driver Eligibility Unit
  • P.O. Box 7995
  • Madison, WI 53707

Extend Your Driver's License

If you prefer to extend your driver's license until you return to Wisconsin, you'll need to send a signed statement with the following information:

  • Your full name.
  • Date of birth.
  • Social Security number.
  • Current Wisconsin address.
  • Temporary mailing address.

Make sure that the statement clearly notes that you are on active duty in the military. You may have the statement delivered to the DMV by a friend or relative, or you may fax it to (608) 261-8201. If you do not have access to a fax machine, you may mail the statement to the same address as above.

Once the DMV receives the statement, a note will be placed on your file stating that your license will expire the earlier of 30 days after your return to Wisconsin, or 90 days after your discharge from military service. You will receive a confirmation copy of this action at the temporary mailing address as indicate on your statement.

When You Return to Wisconsin

Once you are back in Wisconsin, you'll have 30 days to get to your local DMV service center to complete a new Wisconsin Driver License (DL) Application (MV3001) to renew your driver's license. You will also need proof of your identity and a current vision screening certification.

If you have further questions about your Wisconsin driver's license while you are on active duty with the military, you may e-mail them at or telephone the DMV at (608) 264-7447. If you do not have access to e-mail or telephone service, you may write to the DMV at:

  • Driver Eligibility Unit
  • P.O. Box 7995
  • P.O. Box 7983
  • Madison, WI 53707


Driver License Application
DMV application for any class of an original, renewed, OR replacement Wisconsin driver's license OR instruction permit.
Certificate of Vision Examination by Competent Authority
The Wisconsin DMV's mandatory vision exam form for Class D, Class M, OR commercial driver's license. Must be completed by a medical professional.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review