Identification Cards in Wisconsin

SUMMARY: Wisconsin Identification Cards

Applications for a Wisconsin ID card must be made in person. You will need proof of your identity, legal U.S. presence, WI address, and SSN, plus payment for the fee. Renewal and duplicate card applications can be made online, by mail, or in person.

Continue reading this page to learn how to apply for an ID card from the Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Apply for an ID Card in Wisconsin

NOTE: If you'd like a free Wisconsin ID card for voting purposes only, see below.

In Wisconsin, you can apply for an ID card at any age if you:

  • Are a legal resident of the state.
  • Don't have a valid U.S. driver's license.
    • If you do have one, you must surrender it upon application for a WI identification card.

To apply for a WI non-driver ID card, visit a DMV office and:

NOTE: If you had a WI driver's license within the last 8 years, you will only need to provide proof of your identity.

If you provide all of the required documents, you will be issued a REAL ID compliant card. If you're unable to provide some documents, you may be eligible for a non-REAL ID compliant identification card.

Voter ID Card

You can apply for a free ID card in Wisconsin for voting purposes only, if you:

  • Will be 18 years old or older by the next election.
  • Are a U.S. citizen.
  • Are eligible to vote in Wisconsin.

Applications must be made in person at a WI DMV office. You will need:

Renew or Replace an ID Card in WI

Your Wisconsin ID card will be valid for 8 years at a time.

Renewals and replacements can be obtained:

  • Online.
  • By mail.
  • In person.


  • If you don't have a REAL ID card but would like one, you must renew/replace your identification card in person.
  • If you've changed your address, update your information with the Wisconsin DMV before renewing or ordering a duplicate ID card online or by mail.


To renew or replace your WI identification card online, visit the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) website.

You will need to provide:

  • Your ID card number.
  • Your Social Security number (SSN).
  • Payment for the required fee.

You cannot renew/replace your ID card online if:

  • You have changed your name.
  • You aren't a U.S. citizen.
  • Your Wisconsin ID card has been expired for longer than 2 years.
  • Your SSN cannot be verified using the Social Security Online Verification system.
  • You do not have a photo on file or the photo on file does not match DMV standards.
  • Your last renewal for your ID card was done online.
  • Your ID card was cancelled.
  • You have applied online for 4 duplicates within the last 12 months.
  • You would like to apply for an original Real ID compliant ID card.
  • Your address has changed. (ID cards cannot be forwarded).

By Mail

You can order a duplicate or renew your Wisconsin ID card by mail as long as your last renewal was completed in person and you had a new photo taken.

You will need to complete a Wisconsin Identification Card (ID) Application (Form MV3004) and mail it with payment (if applicable) to:

P.O. Box 7995
Madison, WI 53707

In Person

To apply renew or replace your ID card in person, visit a WI DMV office and:

NOTE: If you would like to apply for a REAL ID identification card, you will also need to provide proof of your legal U.S. status, SSN, WI address, and name change (if applicable). See above for a complete list of documents required.

The Wisconsin DMV will issue you a temporary ID card to use until your permanent card arrives in the mail.

Fees for a State ID Card

  • Original: $28.
  • Renewal: $28.
  • Replacement: $16.

Voter identification cards in Wisconsin are free.

Accepted Payment Methods

  • Online transactions:
    • VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express credit/debit card.
    • eCheck.
  • By mail:
    • Check or money order made payable to “Registration Fee Trust."
  • In-person transactions:
    • Cash.
    • Check.
    • Money order.

NOTE: Credit/debit card payments will be charged an additional convenience fee.

Change Your Name or WI Address

If you've moved to a new address or changed your name for any reason, you must notify the Wisconsin DMV. In some cases, you may need to obtain a replacement ID card showing your new credentials.

Visit our Change of Address and Changing Your Name pages for more information.


DMV Administrator Petition
Apply for a free identification card for the sole purpose of voting in Wisconsin if you don't have another form of photo ID. Must provide proof of identity and residency with this DMV form.
Identification Card Application
Apply for a WI identification card with the Division of Motor Vehicles.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG