DOT Driver Handbook in Wisconsin
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
In Wisconsin, the Department of Transportation (DOT) offers various resources to help you become a safer driver, including the WI motorist handbook, motorcyclists' handbook, and commercial driver's manual. For information about Wisconsin traffic and vehicle laws, you can view the Vehicle Code.
Continue reading this page to find links to all the DMV handbooks and driving manual you need to get your WI driver's license.
Wisconsin Driver's Manual
On the WI DOT website, you can access the Wisconsin Motorists' Handbook (Form BDS126). This DMV handbook can help you learn about:
- Rules of the road.
- WI driver's license exams.
- Traffic signs and signals.
- Safe driving tips.
- How to apply for a WI driver's license.
- Replacing a lost or stolen driver's license.
- Renewing your driver's license.
The handbook is also provided in other languages and formats:
- Spanish: Manual del Conductor (Form BDS119)
- Hmong: Wisconsin Tus Tsav Tsheb Phau Ntawv (Form BDS123)
If you want to pass the written exam on your first attempt, we suggest preparing with an online practice test from our certified partner, along with studying the driving manual. Your success is guaranteed.
Motorcycle Manual in WI
If you want to apply for your motorcycle license, you'll need to read the Wisconsin Motorcyclists' Handbook (Form BDS110), which is also available in Spanish. The motorcycle DMV handbook covers everything you need to know about riding a motorcycle in the state, including:
- How to obtain your motorcycle license.
- The motorcycle skills test.
- Choosing the right gear, including a helmet and eye protection.
- Motorcycle rider courses.
- Passing other vehicles safely.
- Riding in a group.
In addition to studying the motorcycle DMV manual. You may also find it helpful to take an online Wisconsin motorcycle practice test before taking the DOT written test.
Commercial Driver's License Manual
Before getting your commercial driver's license (CDL) in Wisconsin, you'll need to study for the WI CDL written exam by reading the Commercial Driver's Manual (Form BDS356).
The CDL DMV handbook includes topics such as:
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) requirements and fees.
- CDL rules.
- Driving safely.
- Transporting cargo and passengers.
- Transporting hazardous materials.
- Air brakes.
- Pre-trip vehicle inspections.
For additional preparation, visit our online CDL practice test page to learn how you can test your knowledge of the CDL driving manual.
Other Driver Manuals
The Wisconsin DOT also provides other drivers manuals online, including the:
- Motor Vehicle Salesperson Manual.
- Wisconsin Trucker's Guide.
Wisconsin Vehicle Code
Besides the Wisconsin DMV handbooks and driving manuals, you can find other resources for your driving information needs.
You can access the Wisconsin Vehicle Code online if you want to read about the laws concerning vehicles, roads, drivers, pedestrians, motor homes, and more.
The code may come in handy if you need to fight a traffic ticket. For more information, visit our Traffic Tickets page.