Voter Registration in Washington DC

Attention: Voter information and identification requirements may change prior to an election. Please check with the Board of Elections website to make sure you have the most current information.

Washington, D.C. Voter Registration

Voting is a privilege that many Americans have fought to preserve. To exercise your right to vote and make your voice heard, you must first register to vote in D.C.

Voter registration is available through the District of Columbia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), as well as by mail or in person.

Register to Vote in D.C.

It is everyone's civic responsibility to vote, but you must register first. In D.C., you can register to vote:

Applications that are filled out online can be printed and:

  • Emailed as an attachment to
  • Faxed to (202) 347-2648.
  • Mailed to*:

D.C. Board of Elections
1015 Half Street, SE Suite 750
Washington, DC 20003

If you are applying by mail and this your first time registering in D.C. you are required to include a photocopy of your current proof of D.C. residency.

Registration Deadlines

Deadlines depend on how you register to vote and what type of ballot you want to cast:

  • If you register by mail, your application must be postmarked no more than 21 days prior to election day.
  • If you register in person, you must do so:
    • Before early voting begins to use a regular ballot.
    • Up to and including election day to cast a special ballot.
Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Washington, D.C. Voter Registration Eligibility

According to the BOE, to be eligible to register, you must satisfy all of the following:

  • Be a U.S. citizen.
  • Be a Washington, D.C. resident.
  • Be at least 18 years old on or before the next election.
  • You may pre-register to vote when you are 16 years old.
  • You may vote in a primary election if you are at least 17 years old BUT you must be at least 18 years old by the next general election.
  • Not have been adjudged "mentally incompetent" by a court of law.
  • Not claim the right to vote anywhere outside D.C.
  • Not be currently incarcerated for a felony conviction.*

*Once you are no longer incarcerated your voting rights are automatically restored and you should re-register to vote.

Military & Overseas Voter Registration

If you are a D.C. resident but you are out of the district on military assignment, as the dependent of military personnel, or living overseas, you can:

Absentee Registration & Voting

If you're not yet registered to vote, refer to Register to Vote in D.C. above and choose the method that best fits your situation.

Once you're registered, you can apply to vote absentee if you won't be in the District on Election Day. Visit D.C.'s section on absentee voting to begin the process of requesting an absentee ballot.

Name or Address Changes in D.C.

To change your name and/or address on your voter registration card, you must either update your information online or fill out and mail the voter registration form, making sure to include all of your updated information.

Alternatively, you can go in person to the DMV, BOE, or other D.C. agency and complete your registration.

See the section Register to Vote in D.C. for more information about submitting the application, and be sure to get your information in by the deadline:

  • Postmarked no more than 21 days before election day, if submitting by mail.
  • Completed in person before early voting begins, if you want to cast a regular ballot.
  • Completed in person as late as election day to cast a special ballot.

If you also need to change your name or address on your Washington, D.C. driver's license or ID card, see our page Changing Your Name in Washington, D.C. or Changing Your Address in Washington, D.C.


Drivers License or Identification Card Application
Apply for a driver's license or identification card from the Washington D.C. DMV. You can also use this form to register to vote.
Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application
If you're a U.S. citizen currently living outside the country, use this form to register to vote AND/OR request an absentee voting ballot.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review