Other Licenses & Endorsements in Washington DC

Special Driver's Licenses in Washington, D.C.

If you want to drive certain types of vehicles or hold certain driving jobs, you may need to apply for a new driver's license class or endorsement with the Washington, D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

The application process for whichever type of driver's license or endorsement you need will be similar to that of your regular driver's license.

On this page you'll find a basic overview of some of the driver's license classes and endorsements available to you.

If you need information about applying for a regular driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

D.C. Commercial Driver's Licenses

You'll need a commercial driver's license (CDL) in D.C. if you want to:

  • Drive a heavy-weight vehicle.
  • Drive vehicles designed to carry a large number of passengers.
  • Transport hazardous materials.

For more information about obtaining a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Washington, D.C. page.

School Bus Drivers

If you want to drive a school bus, you must have a CDL along with a passenger and school bus endorsement. You may need to:

  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • Have a clean driving record.
  • Complete a school bus driver's training program.
  • Pass the driving test in a school bus.

For more information, please contact the DC DMV.

Shuttle Bus Drivers

Shuttle buses not only come in a variety of styles and sizes, but are used in many different ways. Drivers may need to obtain a CDL, along with a passenger endorsement. Check with your potential employer to find out if there are other requirements, including additional endorsements you may need.

Taxi Drivers & Chauffeurs in Washington, D.C.

If you're interested in driving a taxi in D.C., you must have a "hack" license.

NOTE: You no longer need to complete a taxi driver training course through the University of the District of Columbia (UDC) or an approved taxi driver training provider.

You'll need to present the D.C. DMV with:

For more information about applying for a taxicab license, please visit the Washington, D.C. DMV website or contact the D.C. DMV.

Washington, D.C. Sport Vehicles

You don't need a special license to drive an all-terrain vehicle or an off-road vehicle. However, some vehicles may require you to be a certain age or pass a safety course.

You may be required to hold a motorcycle license to drive certain vehicles. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Washington, D.C. page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review