Replacing a Lost Title in Washington DC

Replacing a Lost Title in Washington D.C.

Misplacing your vehicle title can be very frustrating. Fortunately, it's not too difficult to obtain a replacement vehicle title in Washington D.C.

The Washington D.C., Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is in charge of issuing all new or duplicate title for vehicles that require them. You have a few different options to submit your duplicate D.C. title application.

Continue reading this page to find out how to get a duplicate D.C. title, in normal cases and other special circumstances.

Applying for a Duplicate D.C. Title

You can replace a lost or stolen Washington, D.C., vehicle title online, by mail, or in person at any DC DMV office service location.


To make a request for a duplicate D.C. title online, you can visit the website of the Washington, D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles.

You will need to be prepared to provide your:

  • Title number.
  • Vehicle identification number (last 4 characters).

The fee for your duplicate title is $26.

If you have any difficulties, you can contact the DC Citywide Call Center by dialing 311 or calling (202) 737-4404.

By Mail or In Person

When you apply for your duplicate certificate of title by mail or in person, the DMV will need you to provide the following materials:

  • Certificate of Title / Temporary Tag Application (Form DMV-CTA-001). All owners must sign the completed form.
  • Valid identification for each owner. You may provide a District of Columbia driver's license, learner's permit, or identification card as long as they have not expired.
  • Vehicle identification. The DC DMV will accept any of the following:
    • Registration renewal notice.
    • Registration card.
    • Vehicle identification number (VIN).
    • Title number.
    • Tag (license plate) number.
  • Payment of replacement title fees, typically $26.

You can also mail all of your documents along with photocopies of your identification to the following address:

P.O. Box 90120
Washington, D.C. 20090

Special Title Circumstances in D.C.

Need a lienholder removed?

If you've paid off the lien on your vehicle and would like to apply for a duplicate certificate of title with the lienholder's name removed, you need to provide the D.C. DMV with documentation by doing one of the following:

  • Have the financial institution stamp a lien release on the vehicle title.
  • Have the financial institution stamp "paid" on the loan agreement contract. An authority there will also need to sign the contract.
  • Obtain a letter on the financing company's letterhead that states the lien has been satisfied.

Need a corrected D.C. vehicle title?

If you've noticed that your title has the incorrect VIN, you need to provide D.C. DMV with one of the following in order to be issued a corrected title:

  • VIN correction from an inspection station in Washington, D.C.
  • If your vehicle is from out of state, a VIN correction letter from that state's motor vehicle agency. The letter must be on its official letterhead.


Certificate of Title/Temporary Tag Application
Title and register your vehicle with the Washington D.C. DMV.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review