Renewing Your CDL in Washington DC
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Driving a commercial vehicle comes with a long list of responsibilities, but near the top is keeping a valid commercial driver license. But fear not: you can renew your CDL through the Washington D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) before it expires.
D.C. CDL Renewal Eligibility
You can renew your Washington D.C. commercial driver license:
- As EARLY as 6 months before it expires.
- As LATE as 60 days after the expiration date.
- After this time period, you’ll have to retake the road skills and knowledge exams—and pass—to renew your CDL.
As an interstate commercial driver, you’re required to keep a current Medical Examiner’s Certificate (Form MCSA-5876) on file with the DMV. Medical cards typically expire every 2 years. For more information, jump over to our guide on CDL medical requirements.
If you have a HAZMAT endorsement, you’re required to pass a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) every 5 years to retain your endorsement. You can check out our page on HAZMAT endorsements for more information about the process.
Once you renew your CDL, it’s valid for 8 years.
How to Renew Your D.C. CDL
Commercial driver licenses must be renewed at the Brentwood Commercial Driver License Center.
Visit this driver license center and provide your:
- Current or recently expired CDL.
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate (Form MCSA-5876)*.
- Proof of legal U.S. residency.
- The Washington D.C. DMV provides a complete list of acceptable documents online.
- Payment for the applicable CDL renewal fee(s). See the fees section below for a list of costs.
At the center, you may be required to pass a:
- Vision exam.
- Knowledge test for adding or renewing an endorsement.
- Please contact the office at (202) 737-4404 to find out whether your endorsement requires you to take a written knowledge test to renew your CDL.
*These forms must be completed by a certified medical examiner.
Washington D.C. CDL Renewal Fees
The CDL office accepts payments made by credit and debit cards. The office DOES NOT accept cash.
Here’s a list of fees associated with renewing your CDL in the District of Columbia:
- CDL: $117.
- Endorsement: $20.
- Written knowledge test: $10.