Renewing Your CDL in Washington DC
Driving a commercial vehicle comes with a long list of responsibilities, but near the top is keeping a valid commercial driver license. But fear not: you can renew your CDL through the Washington D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) before it expires.
D.C. CDL Renewal Eligibility
You can renew your Washington D.C. commercial driver license:
- As EARLY as 6 months before it expires.
- As LATE as 60 days after the expiration date.
- After this time period, you’ll have to retake the road skills and knowledge exams—and pass—to renew your CDL.
As an interstate commercial driver, you’re required to keep a current Medical Examiner’s Certificate (Form MCSA-5876) on file with the DMV. Medical cards typically expire every 2 years. For more information, jump over to our guide on CDL medical requirements.
If you have a HAZMAT endorsement, you’re required to pass a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) every 5 years to retain your endorsement. You can check out our page on HAZMAT endorsements for more information about the process.
Once you renew your CDL, it’s valid for 8 years.
How to Renew Your D.C. CDL
Commercial driver licenses must be renewed at the Deanwood Commercial Driver License Center.
Visit this driver license center and provide your:
- Current or recently expired CDL.
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate (Form MCSA-5876)*.
- Proof of legal U.S. residency.
- The Washington D.C. DMV provides a complete list of acceptable documents online.
- Payment for the applicable CDL renewal fee(s). See the fees section below for a list of costs.
At the center, you may be required to pass a:
- Vision exam.
- Knowledge test for adding or renewing an endorsement.
- Please contact the office at (202) 737-4404 to find out whether your endorsement requires you to take a written knowledge test to renew your CDL.
*These forms must be completed by a certified medical examiner.
Washington D.C. CDL Renewal Fees
The CDL office accepts payments made by credit and debit cards. The office DOES NOT accept cash.
Here’s a list of fees associated with renewing your CDL in the District of Columbia:
- CDL: $117.
- Endorsement: $20.
- Written knowledge test: $10.