Moving Out of State in Washington DC

For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.

Licensed by the
California DMV
California DMV
Online Registration Online Registration
Same Day Processing Same Day Processing
E-copy of Registration E-copy of Registration
Alternate Mailing Address Alternate Mailing Address
Phone Support Phone Support
$29 Convenience Fee Learn more below

Start Your CaReg Expedited Registration Renewal

Permanent Moves

Motorists moving outside D.C. on a permanent basis should notify the Department of Motor Vehicles(DMV) of the change of address by going to a service location, or completing the change online.

Surrender Your Plates

Washington D.C. requires you to surrender your license tags. Once you've registered the vehicle in your new state, go to a DMV service location and hand over your D.C. registration and tags.

You can also mail the tags and registration to:

  • D.C. DMV
  • P.O. Box 90120
  • Washington, D.C. 20090

Make sure to get a receipt of the transaction, since you can be held responsible for any traffic violations committed on stolen tags you failed to surrender.

The DMV doesn't offer refunds on unused registrations.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Preparing for the Move

Make matters easier for yourself either before or shortly after moving by visiting our "New to Your State" section, which gives an overview of driving-related tasks that should be tackled immediately after you settle into your new home.

Military Information

Those in the military who will be temporarily living outside the district should check out our Drivers in the Military section for important registration and license information regarding their special situation.

Related Content

Provide Feedback BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through

Looking for Moving Out of State in Another State?