DMV Practice Tests in Washington DC
|Driver Permit Test Packages||Basic||Complete||Plus||Sample Test|
|Package Price||$9.99||$14.99||$24.99||Free with
|Number of Questions||50||100||100||25|
|100% Online Practice Test||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|State Driver Preparation Course||x||x||✔||x|
|Start Test||Start Test||Start Test||Register|
Practice tests are available for every type of license, including your learner's permit, driver's license, commercial driver's license (CDL), or motorcycle license. The Washington, D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (D.C. DMV) requires you to pass a written test to determine if you're prepared to operate a vehicle. Take our online DMV practice tests to increase your odds of passing.
Take a Washington, D.C. DMV Practice Test
You may need to take one of the following D.C. DMV practice tests, depending on the type of driver's license you're seeking:
- WA, D.C. learner's permit.
- Regular driver's license.
- If you're a Spanish speaker, take the examen de practica para la licencia.
- Motorcycle license.
- Commercial driver's license (CDL).
- You can also take a practice test for a specific CDL endorsement.
NOTE: You have a choice between a practice test package that consists of either 50 questions or 100 questions.
Try a FREE road signs practice test today and make sure you're ready for the D.C. DMV exam!
Other Washington, D.C. Study Resources
- Our Washington, D.C. Driver's Prep Course is a comprehensive online DMV educational program for individuals who prefer to learn through videos and other interactive tools.
- Download our DMV Study Guide to prepare for the knowledge test using a range of material from the WA, D.C. driver handbook combined into a helpful, abbreviated document.
Sample D.C. DMV Practice Test Questions
Sample Question #1
Washington, D.C. law states that seat belts are required on both the driver and _____________.
a) All passengers.
b) Passengers in the front seat.
c) Passengers under 18 years old.
Sample Question #2
When you change your address, you must notify the Department of Motor Vehicles within:
a) 5 days.
b) 30 days.
c) 60 calendar days.
How to Pass the D.C. DMV Written Test
When applying for a learner's permit or driver's license with the D.C. DMV, you'll need to take a written exam with 25 questions about traffic laws, road signs, and safety rules. To pass, you must answer at least 20 questions correctly.
The D.C. DMV offers the knowledge test on a walk-in basis only, and you can choose from multiple languages. You'll have a specific amount of time to complete the exam:
- Non-commercial driver's license: 60 minutes.
- Graduated driver's license: 75 minutes.
- Motorcycles: 60 minutes.
- CDL general knowledge: 90 minutes.
- CDL endorsements: 60 minutes.
Whether you pass or fail the exam, you'll need to pay a $10 fee. If you fail the knowledge test, you must wait 3 calendar days before you can retake it.
NOTE: Due to the length of the driver and motorcycle written tests, be sure to arrive at least 1 hour before the closing of your local D.C. DMV service center.