Name Change in Washington DC
Continue reading this page to find how to change your name on your Washington, D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (D.C. DMV) documents.
If you have a REAL ID driver's license or ID card in Washington, D.C., you'll need to first change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA). You will need to submit the following documents to the SSA either in person or by mail:
- A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Proof of your:
- Identity (e.g. driver's license, ID card, passport).
- Lawful presence in the U.S. (e.g. U.S. citizenship certificate, U.S. birth certificate, work authorization and I-94).
- Name change (e.g. divorce decree, marriage certificate, court order).
Your updated Social Security card will arrive in the mail in about 10 business days after processing.
NOTE: A complete list of documents required for a corrected Social Security card can be found on the SSA website.
To change your name on your Washington, D.C. driver's license or ID card, you'll need to visit your local D.C. DMV office in person with:
- Proof of your name change, such as your:
- Marriage certificate (certified).
- Divorce decree.
- Court order.
- Your current D.C. driver's license/ID card.
- Payment for the duplicate card fee.
NOTE: If you have a REAL ID driver's license or ID card, you must have already updated your name with the SSA (see above).
If you have a limited purpose driver's license/ID card (not a REAL ID), you will also need to provide:
- Proof of your identity, such as your:
- Valid U.S. passport.
- Valid foreign passport with visa and I-94.
- U.S. citizenship certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number (SSN), such as your:
- Updated Social Security card.
- Pay statement.
- 1099 form.
- 2 documents proving your D.C. residency, such as your:
- Utility bill from within the last 60 days.
- Rental agreement.
- Bank statement, issued within the last 60 days.
You will be issued a REAL ID driver's license/ID card showing your new name.
To change your name on your WA, D.C. certificate of title, you'll need to visit your local D.C. DMV office and submit:
- Proof of your name change (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order).
- A completed Certificate of Title/Temporary Tag Application (Form DMV-CTA-001).
- Your current WA, D.C. driver's license.
- A document identifying your vehicle (e.g. registration, certificate of title number, tag number).
- Payment for the replacement title and registration card fee.
Your replacement certificate of title will be mailed to you within 10 business days.
Visit our following pages for more information about replacing your vehicle documents:
To change your name on your Washington, D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (D.C. DMV) documents, you will need to pay the following fees:
- Driver's license: $20.
- ID card: $20.
- Registration card: $20.
- Title certificate: $26.
Accepted Payment Methods
Washington, D.C. DMV offices accept the following payment methods:
- Money order.
- VISA, MasterCard, and Discover credit cards only.
If you change your address in Washington, D.C., you must update the DMV within 60 calendar days. You can do this either:
- By mail.
- In person.
See our Change of Address page for more information.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.