Suspended CDL in Washington

Commercial Driver’s License Suspensions in Washington

If the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) has suspended your commercial driver’s license, you’ll need to satisfy your requirements before it will be reinstated.

Your WA CDL may be disqualified/suspended for violations including:

  • Driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs/alcohol.
  • Refusing to submit to a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test.
  • Leaving the scene of a truck accident you were involved in.
  • Using your commercial vehicle to commit a felony.
  • Serious traffic violations.

On this page you’ll find information about your disqualified/suspended WA CDL and how to have it reinstated.

About Your Suspended CDL in WA

The duration of your CDL disqualification/suspension and your reinstatement requirements will vary depending on your violation.

Federal laws regulate your CDL and privilege to drive a commercial vehicle. Your CDL can be suspended for:

  • 60 days: For 2 serious traffic violations within 3 years.
  • 120 days: For 3 serious traffic violations within 3 years.
  • 60 days to 1 year: For railroad crossing violations, depending on the number of offenses you’ve had.
  • 180 days to 3 years: For violating an out-of-service order.
  • 1 year or 3 years: If your commercial vehicle contain hazardous materials and you commit a major violation, such as:
    • Using your vehicle to commit a felony.
    • Driving under the influence (DUI) or refusing a BAC test.
    • Driving on a suspended/revoked/disqualified license.
  • Life: If you commit a 2nd major violation or subsequent offenses.

NOTE: You must notify your employer within 30 days of receiving a traffic conviction in a commercial vehicle.

For more information on federal regulations and penalties, please see the FMCSA website.

Depending on your offense, you may also face a court suspension and additional penalties. A commercial driver’s license lawyer may be able to help you through the legal process.

Contact a Local Attorney

Get the help you need to have your Washington CDL reinstated after a suspension. Contact an attorney near you today.

NOTE: Your Washington CDL may be disqualified for violations and convictions received in both commercial and non-commercial vehicles. For more information, please see our Suspended License in Washington page.

Check Your CDL Status

Your Washington driving record will include your driver license status, violations, suspensions, and disqualifications received in both commercial and non-commercial vehicles.

  • Commercial vehicle convictions and court penalties will stay on your driving record for 55 years.
  • Accidents involving a commercial vehicle will stay on your record for 10 years.
  • Washington DOL administrative suspensions/revocations/disqualifications remain on your record for 5 years.
  • Court convictions involving alcohol stay on your record permanently.

NOTE: You can check your driver license status on the WA DMV website.

Order Your Driving Record Today

Mistakes on your driving record can lead to fines and even license suspension. Order your Washington driving record and check your license status today.

CDL Suspension Hearings and Appeals

If you want to contest your CDL suspensionyou received from the Washington DOL, you can request an administrative hearing.

You must request the hearing within 15 – 20 days of receiving the suspension, depending on your violation.

You’ll need to complete the hearing request you received with your suspension notice and return it to the address on the form.

Two common reasons for reviews are alcohol-related suspensions and habitual traffic offender suspensions; however, there are many other CDL suspensions in Washington that you can request an admin review for.

If your suspension was due to an alcohol-related offense, or you are a habitual traffic offender, see below. For more information on other types of CDL administrative reviews, please contact the Department of Licensing.

Alcohol-Related Suspensions

If you are requesting a hearing for a CDL suspension caused by a DUI or BAC test refusal:

Habitual Traffic Offenders

If you have been identified as a habitual traffic offender, submit a Habitual Traffic Offender Hearing Request (Form HRNG-525-006) to the details listed on the form.

Appeal a Hearing Decision

If you’d like to appeal the decision of the WA DOL administrative hearing:

  • Submit your appeal within 30 days to the superior court in the county where you were arrested.
  • Mail the $40 fee and notice of appeal you filed to:

Hearings and Interviews Unit
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9048
Olympia, WA 98507-9048

NOTE: Washington DOL administrative hearings have no affect on court convictions.

CDL DUI Suspensions in Washington

In Washington, you will be charged with a DUI if:

  • You are caught driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.04% or higher.
  • You refuse to submit a BAC test.

Your commercial driver’s license will be disqualified for:

  • 1 year: 1st offense.
  • 3 years: 1st offense if your commercial vehicle contains hazardous materials.
  • Life: 2nd offense.

You will be placed out-of-service for 24 hours if a law enforcement officer detects any amount of alcohol while you are driving a commercial vehicle.

Depending on the circumstances of your offense, you may also face additional criminal court charges and lose your non-commercial driver’s license.

Looking for a DUI Attorney?

Find a local DUI lawyer who can help you reinstate your Washington commercial driver's license.

Reinstate Your WA Commercial Driver’s License

The steps to reinstate your CDL will vary depending on the circumstances of your suspension.

To get specific information on the steps to reinstate your CDL, visit the Washington Department of Licensing website and enter your:

  • Full name.
  • Birth date.
  • Driver license number.

Generally, to reinstate a suspended/revoked license you’ll need to:

  • Satisfy any court requirements and pay any outstanding fines, if applicable.
  • Maintain proof of car insurance for at least 3 years from your reinstatement date, with an:
    • SR22 from your insurance company.
    • A deposit for an approved amount.
  • Pay the licensing and reinstatement fee. (See “Fees to Reinstate Your Washington CDL”below.)

If your CDL is suspended, you may need to:

  • Pass the commercial driver knowledge and driving skills tests.
  • Pass a hazardous materials knowledge test, if applicable.
  • Provide proof you completed a course at a CDL training school, if necessary.
  • Pay the CDL re-qualification fee. (See “Fees to Reinstate Your Washington CDL”below.)

Obtain a Restricted License in Washington

If your Washington CDL has been suspended, you may be eligible for one of the following restricted driver’s licenses:

  • Ignition interlock driver license (IIL), if your license was suspended for drug or alcohol offenses.
  • Occupational/restricted license (ORL), if your CDL was suspended for reasons other than drug and alcohol offenses.

NOTE: A restricted license allows you to drive a non-commercial vehicle to and from approved locations only. You cannot drive a commercial vehicle on a restricted license.

To apply for a restricted license, you’ll need:

Submit the above in person at your local WA DOL office or mail it to:

Restricted Driver License
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3907
Seattle, WA 98124-3907

To apply for an IIL, in addition to the above you’ll also need to install an ignition interlock device on your vehicle(s). The installer will notify the WA DOL.

NOTE: If the Washington DOL does not receive the required documents within 30 days, your fee will be forfeited and your application will be denied.

If your application is denied, you can request an administrative hearing with the DOL request form provided in your denial notice.

Fees to Reinstate Your Washington CDL

Below are general re-qualification, testing, reinstatement, and restricted license fees charged by the Washington DOL. Your fees and fines may vary depending on the circumstances of your suspension/disqualification.

NOTE: You may also need to pay additional court fees/penalties.

  • CDL re-qualification:$20.
  • CDL re-qualification tests:
    • Knowledge test: $10.
    • Commercial driving skills test: $100.
    • Hazardous materials endorsement test: $10.
  • Reinstatement after suspension/revocation:
    • Licensing fee: $55.
    • Non-alcohol-related suspension reinstatement: $75. *
    • Alcohol-related suspensions reinstatement: $150. *
  • Restricted license:
    • Application: $100.
    • Probationary license following DUI conviction/deferred prosecution: $50.
    • Monthly ignition interlock device fee: $20.
  • Administrative DUI hearing: $375.

* Must be paid in addition to licensing fee.

Acceptable Forms of Payment

The Washington Department of Licensing accepts the following forms of payment for reinstating your CDL or applying for a restricted driver’s license:

  • Online: VISA, MasterCard, and American Express credit/debit card.
  • By mail: Check or money order payable to “Department of Licensing.”
  • In person:
    • Cash.
    • Check or money order made payable to “Department of Licensing.”
    • MasterCard, American Express, and some VISA credit/debit cards.

NOTE: Credit/debit card transactions at DOL offices will include an additional convenience fee. Credit/debit cards are not accepted at:

  • Coulee Dam.
  • Davenport.
  • Friday Harbor.
  • Forks.
  • Glendale.
  • Newport.
  • Republic.
  • South Bend.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review