Replacing a Lost Registration in Washington

Duplicate Registration Cards and Tabs in Washington

Lost, fortunately, does not mean permanent with Washington's Department of Licensing (DOL). Just about every car and license document can be replaced, including lost registration certificates and license plate tabs.

Don't procrastinate. Registration certificates and license tabs (square decals that affix to rear license plate) are mandatory. If you're stopped by the police while missing one or the other, expect a fine, regardless of how valid your explanation. If your vehicle registration certificate or tabs are damaged beyond the point of recognition, you can also face fines and tickets if you are pulled over.

On this page you'll find a general overview of the steps to take if you need to replace your vehicle registration and tabs.

If you have specific questions about your vehicle's registration, you should contact the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) directly.

NOTE: If you suspect or have evidence that any of your vehicle registration items have been stolen, you should also contact your local law enforcement agency to file a police report.

Replacing Lost WA Registration Certificates

You can replace a registration certificate by mail or in person.

To replace a lost registration in person, simply visit any Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) driver license office. You'll need to:

  • Complete and sign an Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest (Form TD-420-040).
    • You must indicate which type of vehicle registration item you need.
    • You'll need to include the registration number, year, make, model, vehicle identification number, and title number of your vehicle.
    • All owners listed on the registration must sign the form.
  • Have your signature(s) notarized.
  • Pay a replacement fee with cash or check.

To replace your registration by mail, you can send the above notarized form by mail with a money order or check for your payment to your local vehicle licensing office.

Replacing Lost Washington License Plate Tabs

Replacing a lost, stolen, or damaged license plate tab is generally fast and easy.

To replace your tabs in person, visit it any Washington vehicle licensing office and provide:

  • A completed, signed, and notarized Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest (Form TD-420-040).
    • You'll need to indicate the type of registration item required.
    • Provide the following:
      • Registration number.
      • Year, make, and model of your vehicle.
      • Vehicle identification number (VIN).
      • Title number.
  • Your signature, along with those of all other owners of the vehicle.
    • Each signature must be notarized.
  • Payment (cash or check) for the fee.

To request replacement tabs by mail, you can mail your notarized form and payment by check or money order to your local Washington licensing office. Your tabs should be sent back to you within 10 weeks.

NOTE: If you recently renewed your vehicle registration and have not received your new tabs in the mail within 90 days, you may be eligible for free replacements. You'll need to contact the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL), which will need to verity that:

  • The tabs were issued.
  • The tabs were mailed.
  • Your address is up-to-date.


Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest
Notify the WA Department of Licensing that title, registration, tabs, decals, OR license plates have been lost, stolen, OR destroyed. Releases you from that vehicle's interest.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG