Replacing a Lost Title in Washington

Replacing a Lost Title in Washington

If you suddenly realize your vehicle's title is missing, you'll need to replace this document. It's important, especially if you're in the process of selling your vehicle. When you need to replace a lost title in Washington, you will be dealing directly with the Washington State Department of Licensing.

Continue reading to learn how to apply for a duplicate title in Washington in normal cases as well as other title situations where a lienholder is involved.

Replacing Your Lost Title in Washington

NOTE: If there's a lien on the vehicle, the lienholder needs to apply for the replacement title.

You can apply for a new title either in person or by mail. To get a new title, you will need to:

  • Complete an Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest (Form TD-420-040). All registered owners of the vehicle must sign the form and the signatures notarized.
  • Provide payment for the $35.50 duplicate title fee ($26.75 for boats).
    • If you need a title immediately, the Quick Title fee starts at $85.50.
  • Submit the application and fee to the Department of Licensing in person at any vehicle licensing office or submit by mail here:

Refunds and Title Services
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9030
Olympia, WA 98507

Be patient. It takes up to 8 weeks for your duplicate title to arrive in the mail.

NOTE: If your title is needed quickly, you should apply at the Quick Title office.

If a Lienholder Is Involved

If your title is lost your lienholder, not you, must apply for the duplicate title.

How do I get my title if the lienholder went out of business?

If your lienholder has gone out of business and you can't find the owner of debts owed to the company, you have a few different options for replacing a lost title:

  • Petition the state Superior or District Court to have the lienholder removed. You'll need to prove that you have paid for the vehicle in full.
  • Bring a copy of your credit report that shows that the loan is paid in full to a vehicle licensing office. You can also bring canceled checks or receipts that equal the total purchase price.
  • File a complaint with Washington Department of Licensing if the lienholder is a Washington state dealer.

Making Corrections on Your MT Title

You can change both your name and address on your vehicle title in Montana.

Change Your Address

You can change your address online or in person at a vehicle licensing office or Quick Title office.

Change Your Name

If you have changed your name, you will need to update your title to reflect your new name.

To change your name, you'll need to gather your:

Refunds and Title Services
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9030
Olympia, WA 98507

There is a $35.50 fee for a regular title update.

If you need an expedited copy of your title, you will need to pay a base fee of $85.50 at the Quick Title Office. Other fees, such as a $15 service fee and the regular title fee, may apply.


Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest
Notify the WA Department of Licensing that title, registration, tabs, decals, OR license plates have been lost, stolen, OR destroyed. Releases you from that vehicle's interest.
Vehicle/Vessel Owner Name Update Affidavit for Individual
If your name has changed, submit this form to the Department of Licensing to update your WA vehicle/vessel records.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review