Renewing Your License in Washington

Renew Your Washington Driver's License

Before your Washington driver's license expires, you need to renew it with the Department of Licensing (DOL) to be able to continue driving legally in Washington.

On this page you'll find information on renewing your driver license online, by mail, and in person.

When to Renew Your WA Driver's License

As of August 11, 2014 driver's license will be valid for 6 years instead of 5 years. Your driver's license will still expire on your birthday.

The Washington DMV issues two types of licenses:

  • Standard driver's license.
  • Enhanced driver's license.

Before your driver's license expires, the WA DOL will mail you a renewal notice that will inform you whether you can renew:

  • Online.
  • By mail.
  • In person.

You should receive your new driver's license within 30 days. If you haven't received it within this time, you can contact the Washington DMV by email at to check its status.

Requirements may vary based on whether your current Washington driver license is:

  • Valid.
  • Expired.
  • Suspended.
  • Lost, damaged, or destroyed.

Valid Driver's License

If you hold a valid drivers license, you can renew it in person up to 1 year before the expiration date.

You can only renew your driver's license by mail once receive a renewal notice.

Expired Driver's License

If your driver's license is expired, you can still renew, but if it has been expired for more than 60 days, you'll need to pay a $10 late fee in addition to the renewal fee. See the “Fees to Renew Your WA Driver's License" section below.

Suspended Driver's License

If your Washington driver license is suspended, you'll need to reinstate your driving privileges before you can renew it.

For more information, please see our Suspended License in Washington page.

Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Driver's License

If your Washington drivers license is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can still renew it as long as you know your WA driver's license number.

Do not drive without a valid driver's license in Washington. If you'd like a replacement, please see the Replacing a Lost License in Washington section below.

Online Driver's License Renewal

You can renew your driver license online or through License eXpress if you are 24 to 70 years old. If you're outside of this age range, please contact the WA DOL officesdirectly.

To renew online, visit the Washington DOL website to see if you're eligible. You'll need:

  • Your WA driver license number.
  • The last 4 digits of your Social Security number (SSN).
  • Your birth date.
  • Your eye color as shown on your driver's license.

If you're eligible, you'll need to provide:

  • An e-mail address and a printer to print your temporary WA driver's license.
  • Payment for the renewal fee (see the “Fees to Renew Your WA Driver's License" section below).

If you have a License Express account, you can sign up or log in to renew online.

NOTE: The WA DOL system will notify you if you are not eligible to renew online.

By-Mail Driver's License Renewal

If you've received a renewal notice, you can renew your Washington driver's license by mail.

Follow the instructions on your renewal notice and include a check or money order with your renewal fee. See the “Fees to Renew Your WA Driver's License" section below.

In-Person Driver's License Renewal

To renew your Washington driver license in person, visit your local Washington DMV office in person. You'll need to:

  • Bring your current WA driver's license.
  • Pass a vision test.
  • Have your photo taken.
  • Pay the renewal fee (see “Fees to Renew Your WA Driver's License" below).

NOTE: A convenience fee will be charged for in-person renewals completed with credit/debit cards.

WA Military Members & License Renewal

Notice for Military Members Stationed in Germany

If you are currently stationed in Germany, please be aware that some states require you to have a valid U.S. driver's license in addition to your USAREUR license. Read our article for more information.

Active duty military personnel in Washington can obtain an extended driver's license that replaces the expiration date with the word "military." This license will then remain valid for 90 days after your honorable discharge. Your dependents may also apply for an extended driver's license, which will be valid until your return to Washington.

You qualify for this license if you are:

  • An active duty military member.
  • A member of the National Guard.
  • A reservist called to active duty for 180 days or more.
  • The spouse, domestic partner, or dependent of an active duty military member.

To apply, visit your local driver licensing office with:

  • Your current WA driver's license.
  • Proof of active duty military status.
  • Military ID (for spouses and dependents).
  • Payment for the applicable fee (see below).

Residents currently out of state may mail the above, PLUS a completed Driver License Renewal Request While Out of State (Form DLE-520-008), to the address on the form. Make sure to indicate on the form that you wish to update your military status.

Renewal for Out-of-State WA Residents

If you will be out of state when your drivers license expires, you can renew it by mail OR request an extension for 12 months if:

  • Your driver's license is valid.
  • You don't have any outstanding fees with the Washington DMV.

Driver's License Extension

To apply for a driver's license extension for 12 months in Washington:

Complete a Driver License Extension Request (form DR-500-019).

  • You can have the form sent to you by contacting the WA DMV by:
    • Phone: (360) 902-3900.
    • E-mail:
  • Include a check or money order for your $5 extension fee.

Send the above to the WA DMV address specified on the form.

Driver's License Renewal

If you'd like to renew your drivers license while outside of Washington, you can renew by mail if:

  • You will not be in Washington when your driver's license expires.
  • You DO NOT have an enhanced WA driver's license.
  • Your Social Security number is valid.
  • You completed your previous renewal in person.

To renew your Washington driver license while out of state, you'll need a:

Mail the above to:

Department of Licensing
646 Okoma Dr Ste E
Omak WA 98841

NOTE: Your new Washington driver license will not include a photo or a signature and cannot be used to prove your identity.

Fees to Renew Your WA Driver's License

To renew your driver's license in Washington, it will cost you:

  • $54 for a standard driver license.
  • $78 for an enhanced driver license.
  • $5 for a Washington drivers license extension valid 12 months (if you are out of state).

If you renew your driver's license more than 60 days late, it will cost you:

  • $54 for a standard driver's license valid for 6 years.
  • $10 in addition to the renewal fee for an enhanced driver's license.

Accepted Payment Methods

Washington DOL driver licensing offices accept payment by:

  • Cash.
  • Check.
  • MasterCard and American Express credit card. *
  • Some VISA debit cards. *

* A convenience fee will be charged for in-person transactions completed with credit/debit cards. Credit/debit cards are not accepted at the following offices:

  • Coulee Dam.
  • Davenport.
  • Friday Harbor.
  • Forks.
  • Goldendale.
  • Newport.
  • Republic.
  • South Bend.

Online transactions must be made by one of the following credit/debit cards:

  • VISA.
  • MasterCard.
  • American Express.

Applications by mail must be paid for by check or money order made payable to “Department of Licensing."


DR-500-019 Driver License Extension Request

Ask the DOL for an extension on your WA driver's license if you'll be out-of-state when it expires.

Download Open the form

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG