Other Vehicle Registrations in Washington

SUMMARY: How to Register a Special Vehicle Type in Washington

For vehicles other than standard cars and trucks in Washington, the registration process may vary slightly in the forms to submit or the fees to pay. ATVs require a separate application and inspection, while snowmobiles are registered according to the age of the vehicle. Custom-built vehicles should first have a VIN assigned, and RVs and motorhomes are registered using the same process as regular vehicles. Find your vehicle type below for details.

In Washington, the Department of Licensing (DOL) requires just about every motorized and wheeled vehicle operating on public road and property, including snowmobiles and trailers, to be registered.

All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Registration

If you intend to only operate your ATV on private property, you do not have to notify the Washington DOL. Otherwise, you must register it.

You will need to apply for a metal tag (to affix to your ATV) and keep your registration document with you whenever you're operating the vehicle.

Street-Legal ATVs

Generally, ATVs can only be operated off road. However, if your vehicle is street legal, you can apply for an on-road tab in addition to your registration which allows you to operate your ATV on some roads in Washington.

To qualify for an on-road tab in Washington, your ATV must:

  • Have all of the following equipment:
    • Head lamp.
    • Tail lamp (2 tail lights for utility type vehicles).
    • Stop lamp.
    • Turn signals.
    • Brakes.
    • Mirror (2 mirrors for utility type vehicles) .
    • Warning device or horn.
    • Spark arrester and muffler.
    • Windshield.
    • Seatbelts for utility vehicles.
  • Have your ATV inspected by a licensed repair shop or dealer in Washington.

You will need to bring the following to your local WA DOL office:

For more information about getting an on-road tab, including related fees, contact the Washington DOL.

Snowmobile Registration in Washington

All snowmobiles, regardless if only restricted to private property, must be registered with the Washington DOL. It's an easy process that requires visiting a vehicle licensing office.

Bring proof of ownership, such as the signed-over title, the bill of sale, or the manufacturer's certificate of origin, as well as payment for all applicable fees. There are no downloadable application forms. All of the paperwork will be issued by a vehicle licensing agent.

Registration fees are determined by the age of your snowmobile. To determine your registration fees you can use the Department of Licensing fee calculator or sign up for a License eXpress account.

A snowmobile's registration is valid for 1 year at a time and require a $8 registration service fee for new registration or renewals.

WA Trailer Registration

Registering a trailer is similar to registering any other vehicle. Visit any WA vehicle licensing office with proof of ownership and the ability to pay the fees. There are no downloadable application forms. All of the paperwork will be issued by a vehicle licensing agent.

Registration fees vary by weight and can be calculated by using either the Department of Licensing's License eXpress or using the state's fee calculator.

Recreational Vehicles and Motorhomes

Recreational vehicles (RVs) and motorhomes need to be titled and registered much the same way as you would register your regular car in Washington. You'll need to visit your local WA DOL office in person and submit various documents and payment for the applicable fees. Depending on if you bought the RV from a dealer or from a private seller, the documents required may vary.

You can use the fee calculator or sign up for License eXpress to determine your fees. You may also be asked to pay a:

  • $8 registration service fee.
  • $15 title service fee.
  • Inspection fees.
  • Regional Transportation Authority tax (only for the counties of Pierce, King, and Snohomish).

Note that some cities also require a local benefit district fee.

For more information on the registration process, see our Registering a Car in Washington page.

Custom-Built Cars

If you have a custom-built vehicle in Washington, you will need to first apply for a vehicle identification number (VIN) before you can register it. Schedule an appointment with the Washington State Patrol. You will need to bring some documents with you to the inspection:

  • Bills of sale for all major components of the vehicle.
  • A letter from the WA DOL explaining why you need an inspection.

There may be additional documents required depending on your situation. Visit the WA State Patrol website for more information.

Once you have a VIN assigned to your custom vehicle, follow the steps on our Washington Car Registration page to register your car. You'll need to bring your VIN inspection certificate with you to the WA DOL.

Mopeds and Scooters in WA

Mopeds must be registered in Washington, just like you'd register a car.

WA state defines a moped as a vehicle with:

  • 2 or 3 wheels.
  • A motor under 50 CC and up to 2 HP.
  • A top speed of 30 MPH.

To be registered and operated on public roads, a moped must meet all safety and operational regulations.

Electric bicycles and foot scooters with motors DO NOT have to registered in Washington.


Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicle Road Use Declaration
Register a wheeled all-terrain vehicle (WATV) for use on public roads with the Washington Department of Licensing. Form must be completed by a certified WATV inspector.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review