Motorcycle Registration in Washington

All Washington residents must register their motorcycle with the Department of Licensing (DOL). Use this guide to learn more about motorcycle registration if you're a new WA resident OR if you're a current resident who recently bought a bike.

Need to renew your Washington motorcycle registration? Head over to our registration renewals guide for more.

New to Washington

After moving to Washington, you'll have 30 days to register your motorcycle with the DOL. You can apply for motorcycle registration by submitting the following items in person OR by mail to your local vehicle licensing office:

  • A completed Vehicle Certificate of Ownership Title Application Form (Form TD-420-001).
    • The application must be signed in front of a notary public OR DOL vehicle licensing agent.
  • If your motorcycle is model year 2011 or newer, a completed odometer disclosure statement.
    • You can only obtain this form at a DOL office OR by requesting a copy via phone or e-mail from the WA Department of Licensing.
  • The current out-of-state title.
    • If there's a lien on your motorcycle, have the lending company fax a copy of the title to the DOL vehicle licensing agency where you're registering your bike.
  • Your bill of sale.
    • Only needed if the motorcycle was registered in another state AND if it's been under 90 days since you purchased it.
  • Payment for all applicable motorcycle registration taxes and fees.

Once your registration application has been accepted, you should receive your license plates and registration in about 3 weeks.

WA Motorcycle Registration

The process for motorcycle registration varies slightly depending on whether you purchased the motorcycle from a dealership OR a private party. Below are the steps you'll need to take for either instance when registering your bike with the Washington Department of Licensing.

Dealership Purchases

When you purchase a new or used motorcycle from a Washington dealership, the dealer will handle the registration paperwork for you.

Be sure to inquire before you leave to ensure no further steps will be required on your end. The dealer may also issue you a temporary registration while you wait for your official license plates and motorcycle registration to arrive in the mail.

Below we have a breakdown of the motorcycle registration fees and taxes you could pay, typically included in the bike's purchase price.

Private Party Purchases

After buying a new OR used motorcycle from a private seller in Washington, you'll have 15 days from the purchase date to title and register it with the DOL.

To register your motorcycle, submit the items below in person OR by mail to your local DOL vehicle licensing office:

Washington does not require motorcycle insurance to register or operate your motorcycle; however, neighboring states and countries do, so it's a good idea to insure your bike if you drive outside the state and, of course, to protect yourself when you're in the state. You can find information and quotes in our motorcycle insurance guide.

WA Motorcycle Registration Fees & Taxes

Original motorcycle registration fees will vary according to:

  • Your motorcycle's:
    • Model.
    • Year.
    • Weight.
  • Your county of residence.

The WA Department of Licensing's basic motorcycle registration fees may include the following:

  • License tab: $30.
  • Service fee: $8.
  • Motorcycle license plate:
    • Original: $20.
    • Replacement: $27.25.
  • Application fee: $15.
  • Filing fee:
    • For registration: $4.50.
    • For title with registration: $10.
  • Plate transfer fee: $10.
  • Replacement registration card fee: $1.25 (plus filing and service fees).
  • Sales/use tax: Based on your Washington county of residence.

For a more specific estimation of the fees you'll need to pay, use the DOL's online calculator OR give your vehicle licensing office a call.


Vehicle Certificate of Ownership Title Application
Application for a Washington vehicle title. Must be notarized if you don't sign the application in front of a DOL agent.
Vehicle/Vessel Bill of Sale
Bill of Sale form to complete when you buy or sell a vehicle OR vessel in Washington. The buyer will need to submit the completed Bill of Sale to the DOL when transferring the vehicle/vessel title into their name.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review