Drivers in the Military in Washington

Driver's License Renewal Exemptions

Washington drivers who are serving in the U.S. Armed Forces might be eligible for driver's license renewal exemptions, depending on their length and location of service. Those getting the military license renewal exemptions must renew or update their license with the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) within 90 days of being discharged from the military.

You can also apply to extend your driver's license while you are out of state. For more information, visit our Renewing Your License in Washington page.

The Washington DOL has answers to frequently asked questions regarding military drivers in the state. Drivers who are serving in the military receive a Washington driver's license with "military" listed instead of an expiration date.

To obtain a driver's license with a military exemption in Washington, those in the service should apply in person at a Driver Licensing Office with their Washington driver's license and proof of active duty for military or National Guard duty. A new license with the military exemption costs $20.

Spouses and children who are dependents are also eligible for the military renewal exemption, as long as a family member is on active military duty.

The following qualify for the military exemption for license renewal in Washington:

  • Active-duty personnel of the U.S. Armed Services.
  • Spouse or dependent child living with eligible military personnel.
  • National Guard members and reservists called to duty for 180 days or more.

A Washington driver's license with the military exemption is valid as long as the holder is on active duty. Once discharged from the military, the license must be renewed within 90 days. If military service ends with anything other than honorable discharge, the exemption is immediately void and the license holder must renew right away.

Washington license holders who are out of state may request a replacement license by sending a completed Driver License Replacement/Renewal Request While Out-of-State (Form DLE-520-008) and payment for the fee to:

PO Box 9048

Olympia, WA 98507

Enhanced Driver Licenses and ID Cards

If you've found your way to this section, chances are you're an active-duty military service member who normally lives in another state but is currently stationed in Washington.

To date, if you normally reside in another state and are just stationed in Washington for now, you are not eligible for a WA EDL/ID.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review