DUI Attorneys in Washington
Being charged with driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs or alcohol (also called a DWI) in Washington usually results in harsh penalties, such as jail time and heavy fines. Hiring a DUI attorney may result in your charges and penalties being reduced and may help to make the court process much simpler for you.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
Continue reading this page to learn more about hiring a Washington DUI attorney.
Hiring a DUI Attorney in WA
While you may choose to hire a DUI attorney soon after you're arrested for a DUI, you want to take some time to shop around and find the right lawyer for you. Follow these tips to help you get started:
- Find an attorney with experience in DUI cases similar to yours.
- Stick to a local Washington attorney.
- You want to hire someone with ample knowledge of WA DUI laws and court processes.
- Ask for references and recommendations.
- Make sure your DUI attorney is affordable.
- Ask about total fees and payment deadlines.
- Talk to a number of DUI attorneys before making your decision.
- DUI attorneys don't usually charge for initial consultations, so take advantage of this when you're searching for someone to represent you.
Be sure your DUI attorney is able to handle your type of case. You can be charged with a DUI for driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) at an illegal level:
- Adult: 0.08% or higher.
- Under 21 years old: 0.02% or higher.
- Commercial drivers: 0.04% or higher.
How a DUI Attorney Can Help
Hiring a DUI attorney can save you money in the long term. A good DUI attorney in Washington will know all the fine details of the DUI laws in the state and plea bargain for reduced charges. Your lawyer can also:
- Fill out all the legal documents and submit them for you.
- Explain your penalties to you.
- Explain what you must do to meet court requirements.
- Represent you in WA court.
- Advise you on how you should plead guilty or not guilty.
You WA DUI attorney may also be there for support after your sentence is handed down.
Penalties for a Washington DUI
You may face harsh penalties for committing a DUI in WA, especially if your offense was very severe. The court will look at your driving record, BAC level, and age when determining your final sentence.
Some penalties you may face, include:
- Suspension of your Washington driver's license.
- Additional fees apply to have your license reinstated.
- Imprisonment for 1 day to 364 days. (Varies depending on your BAC level.)
- A fine of $940 to $5,000.
- Mandatory installation of an ignition interlock device in your vehicle.
- You will need to pay for all associated costs.
Having a DUI attorney representing you can save you time, stress, and money.
Visit our DUI in Washington page to learn more about the penalties and costs associated with DUI offenses.