Name Change in Washington

If you want to change your name, you can do so at your local DMV. However, if you don't mind paying a small convenience fee, our state-approved partner can save you hours of filing hassles. This is accomplished by automating the process of filling out the numerous forms. Your time is valuable. Learn more below.

State Motor Vehicle Agency
Driver's License Driver's License
Social Security Administration Social Security Administration
Internal Revenue Service Internal Revenue Service
U.S. Passport U.S. Passport
U.S. Postal Service U.S. Postal Service
Insurance, Bank Accounts, Medical, Utilities & more Insurance, Bank Accounts, Medical, Utilities & more
Only $29.00 Learn more below

Start Your Easy Name Change Today

SUMMARY: How to Change Your Name in Washington

To change your name on your Washington driver’s license/ID card, car registration, and certificate of title, you'll need to visit a DOL office in person. You will need to bring in various paperwork, including proof of your name change and payment for duplicate documents.

Continue reading this page to learn how to change your name with the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL).

Change Your Name with the SSA

When you change your name, you'll need to update the Social Security Administration (SSA) and get an updated Social Security card.

You will need:

  • A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • Documents to prove your:
    • Identity (e.g. U.S. passport, WA driver's license, ID card).
    • Lawful presence in the U.S. (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, U.S. citizenship certificate, work authorization and I-94).
    • Name change (e.g. marriage certificate, court order, divorce decree).

See the SSA website for more information about which documents will be accepted.

Submit all of your documents to your local SSA office either in person or by mail.

Once your application is processed you should receive an updated Social Security in the mail within 14 business days.

WA Driver's License/ID Card Name Change

To change your name on your Washington driver's license or identification card, you must visit a WA DOL office in person. You will need:

  • Proof of your identity, such as your:
    • Marriage license.
    • Court order.
    • Divorce decree.
  • Payment for the appropriate fee.

For a complete list of accepted documents, see the Washington DOL website.

If you own vehicle, you will also need to have your name changed on your registration and title (see below).

Car Title and Registration Name Change

In addition to updating your Washington driver's license, you'll also need to change your name on your vehicle records. You'll need a separate application for EACH vehicle you own.

NOTE: If you have a lien on your vehicle, you will need to complete the name change through your lienholder, not the WA DOL.

To change your name on your car (or boat) registration and title certificate, you will need:

Submit all of the above to the Washington DOL either:

The Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) will mail you your updated certificate of title within 10 weeks. If you submitted your documents in person at a Quick Title office, you will receive your updated certificate of title immediately.

Fees to Change Your Name in WA

To change your name on your WA driver's license/ID card and vehicle documents, you'll need to pay the appropriate fees:

  • Driver's license/ID card: $10.
  • Title certificate:
    • Regular: Title fees vary.
    • Quick title: $50 plus other applicable fees.

NOTE: You may be charged an additional $12 service fee at some WA DOL offices.

Contact the WA DOL if you have any questions regarding fees and accepted payment methods.

Change Your Washington Address

Once you move in Washington, you must inform the DOL of your new address within 10 days. Changing your address can be done conveniently online on the WA DOL website.

For more information and for other options, visit our Change of Address in Washington page.


Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest - TD-420-040

Notify the WA Department of Licensing that title, registration, tabs, decals, OR license plates have been lost, stolen, OR destroyed. Releases you from that vehicle's interest.

Application for a Social Security Card - SS-5

Apply for an original, replacement, OR corrected Social Security card.

Vehicle Certificate of Ownership Title Application - TD-420-001

Application for a Washington vehicle title. Must be notarized if you don't sign the application in front of a DOL agent.

Vehicle/Vessel Owner Name Update Affidavit for Individual - TD-420-047

If your name has changed, submit this form to the Department of Licensing to update your WA vehicle/vessel records.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through