Other Licenses & Endorsements in Vermont

Special Licenses in Vermont

Depending on the weight and size of the vehicle you want to drive and the driving profession you want to have, you may need to apply for a special license or endorsement with the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Your application process for a special license will be similar to that of your regular driver's license. You'll generally need to:

  • Pass an endorsement/class-specific knowledge test.
  • Pass a driving skills test in the type of vehicle you want to drive.
  • Pay a licensing fee.

On this page you'll find a general overview of some of the classes and endorsements available to you.

If you need information about obtaining a standard, noncommercial driver's license, please visit one of the following pages:

Commercial Driver's Licenses in Vermont

You may need to obtain a Vermont commercial driver's license if you:

  • Want to drive a heavy-weight vehicle.
  • Want to transport a large number of passengers.
  • Want to carry hazardous materials.

Your specific CDL class and endorsements will determine exactly what type of vehicles you can drive and what driving professions you can have.

For more information about obtaining a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Vermont page.

VT Bus Driver Requirements

Type I Operation (transporting 15 passengers or more)

This is a commercial driver's license (CDL). A CDL is required for transporting more than 15 passengers in Vermont. To qualify you must:

  • Pass a physical examination.
  • Attend a school bus driver training clinic (There is a fee for this training).
  • Have a valid VT driver's license.
  • Have both a passenger and a school bus endorsement.
  • Pass required vision, written, and skills tests.

Type II Operation (transporting less than 15 passengers, including the driver, in buses which are owned, leased, or hired by a school)

This is NOT a CDL. A CDL is not required for transporting 15 passengers (including the driver) or less. To qualify you must:

  • Pass a physical examination.
  • Attend a school bus driver training clinic.
  • Own a valid Vermont driver's license.
  • Own a school bus endorsement.
  • Pass required vision, written, and skills tests.

To stem any confusion between a Type 1 and a Type 2 driver's license, a Type 1 (or CDL) requires passing additional tests based on the exact type of vehicle you'll be driving, and the skills test also includes a pre-trip inspection.

Consult Vermont's School Bus Manual for detailed requirement information.

Shuttle Vans in Vermont

You do not need a CDL or a special endorsement if your shuttle van or bus is designed for carrying 15 passengers or fewer.

Taxi Driver Requirements in VT

Taxi driver's license requirements vary with each municipality. Check with your local city or county clerk in Vermont.

You may need to:

  • Have a clean criminal and driving record.
  • Pay a taxi licensing fee.
  • Pass a medical certification.
  • Complete a taxi certification and training course.

Chauffeur Requirements

Vermont does not issue chauffeur driver's licenses. If you'd like to work as a chauffeur, simply apply to the company you'd like to work for.

Vermont Off-Road & Sport Vehicles

While many sport/off-road vehicles do not require a special license or endorsement, you may need to meet a minimum age requirement and complete a VT safety course.

Some vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle license. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Vermont page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review