Replacing a Lost Title in Vermont

Replacing a Lost Title in Vermont

Stop the self-blaming. No matter how organized you are, sometimes vehicle titles can be lost, damaged, destroyed or stolen. Losing your title is a minor blip rather than a full-blown crisis; thanks to the ease with which Vermont's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) makes it for retrieving a duplicate title.

Since a title is necessary to prove your ownership of a vehicle, you will need to replace your lost vehicle title as you may need it when you are selling a car or using the vehicle as collateral. All vehicles in Vermont require a title with a few exceptions.

Continue reading this page to learn more about applying for a duplicate VT title.

Applying For a Duplicate Title in Vermont

NOTE: When applying for a replacement title, you will need to provide proof of identity. For a complete list of acceptable documents, please visit the Vermont DMV.

You can apply for a duplicate title at a DMV kiosk, by mail, or at a DMV office. You may also call your local DMV branch office to inquire if it handles duplicate title applications.

Here's what you do:

  • Complete an Duplicate Title Application (Form VT-04). If there are multiple owners, all individuals must sign.
  • Pay a $42 duplicate title fee.
  • Drop off your application or mail everything to the DMV's main office in Montpelier:
    • 120 State St
    • Montpelier, VT 05603

You will need to supply your ID number, the make and year of the vehicle, the current odometer reading and, if your previous title was damaged or mutilated, the title to the vehicle. All owners will need to sign for a duplicate title.

After you apply, the title will be mailed to you or to the lien holder if there is a lien on your vehicle.

If you have questions call the Registration/License Information Unit at (802) 828-2000.

Can you add or remove a lien from the title during this process?

You cannot use the replacement title application to add or remove a lien on a vehicle. You will need to fill out one of these forms:

Title Changes Release a Lien (Form TA-VT-08)

Title Changes Adding a Lien (Form TA-VT-19)

Change Your Name or Address

Changing Your Name

If you change your name, you are required to notify the state of Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles within 30 days. For specific details on how to make the change, please read our page about Changing Your Name.

You will need to supply supporting documents such as a marriage license or certificate, a civil union certificate or a court order that reflects your new name. All names need to be updated with the Social Security Administration first. Once you're finished, you can start the application process for a new title with your name name. See above.

Changing Your Address

You can update your address online using the DMV Online Services. Use your license number as your ID number.

When you log in, you will see a complete listing of the vehicles registered to you. Once you're finished with this process, you can refer above and follow the directions in applying for a duplicate VT vehicle title.

For more information on address changes, please read or page about Changing Your Address.


Duplicate Title Application
Use this form to apply for a duplicate vehicle title with the Vermont DMV.
Release of Lien
Submit this form to the VT DMV, along with the indicated fee, to release a lien from a vehicle you own.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review